• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does this error make my lease invalid?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Number21

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Oregon

Hello everyone, I recently signed a lease for some industrial shop space. The lease was supposed to be for one year, but I was just re-reading my documents and the lessor made a major mistake.

The section of the lease that is supposed to show 1 year actually only is for ONE month. It says, and I quote:
"To have and to hold the premises commencing with the 6th day of May, 2009 and ending at midnight on the 1st day of June 2009 for a rental of $800 monthly for the whole term."
It should say June 2010, but it's been signed and copied by both of us with the June 1 2009 date.

Now, as far as I know, I'll probably stay there at least a year, BUT, it would be nice to know if I could just leave anytime because of this mistake. Does this make my lease invalid after June 1, 2009?

Alaska landlord

And why would (she) throw out a paying customer? I'm not concerned about that in the slightest.
Perhaps someone with reason to buy the building for his own personal use would give you reason to worry. Would an inquiry from a client willing to pay more than what you are currently paying would motivate you to rectify the lease agreement?

What would you do with your inventory should the landlord decide to sell?

Number21

The thing is, she doesn't have a clue about it. I haven't pointed out the mistake and I'm not going to unless I find a good reason to.

She's not going to throw me out, she just spent a lot of time and money trying to find somebody to rent the place, and that was me. Not to mention, my neighbors there are complete whack jobs. (a possible reason why I might move) They'll get the boot long before I would.

So is that a yes or a no? Can I walk away from this lease if I want to?
I never wanted to sign a lease in the first place, I'd much rather go month to month. But pretty much everybody requires a year.

Last edited:
And why would (she) throw out a paying customer? I'm not concerned about that in the slightest.
Because if any dispute ever arised between you and the landlord your month to month status gives them the ability to tell you to be gone in 30 days. It would be in both your best interests to sign a new lease the corrects the error.

Number21

Does anybody actually have an answer to the question asked? I wasn't looking for anyone's opinion of how long my lease should be...:rolleyes:

Like I said, I don't want a lease, I'd rather go month to month. CLEAR?

BL

Does the lease state for one year ,anywhere ?

If so the Date was a technical mistake ,and the one year would most likely be enforced .

Alaska landlord

Nope, I was looking for that. Just the date(s). I also noticed she forgot to sign the page that disclaimed her from people/property damage.

And yes, she's blonde. ;)
You BOTH seem to be operating against your best interest, so it would be interesting to know how this all turns out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">