• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does the landlord have to replace pet stained carpet?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

punumper

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona
Before we moved in we noticed the carpets in the house had a bad smell and the carpeted rooms felt stale. The landlord told us the previous tenants had dogs and that the carpets would get cleaned. They did have them cleaned once but after a few days the smell came back. The owner is refusing to put anymore money into the place and told us to have them re-cleaned ourselves at our expense. We pulled up some of the carpet in one of the rooms to look at the back side of it and there are urine stains on the underside of the carpet and the padding smells. My questions are:
1) Can this be cleaned out or are the carpets ruined?
2) Is it our responsibility to clean or replace the carpets or can we force the owner to do it?

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona
Before we moved in we noticed the carpets in the house had a bad smell and the carpeted rooms felt stale. The landlord told us the previous tenants had dogs and that the carpets would get cleaned. They did have them cleaned once but after a few days the smell came back. The owner is refusing to put anymore money into the place and told us to have them re-cleaned ourselves at our expense. We pulled up some of the carpet in one of the rooms to look at the back side of it and there are urine stains on the underside of the carpet and the padding smells.
My questions are:
1) Can this be cleaned out or are the carpets ruined?
I'd say so .

2) Is it our responsibility to clean or replace the carpets or can we force the owner to do it?
I'd say your responsibility .

As unpleasant as it is , It doesn't rise to the level of a code violation , so you can not force the Landlord to replace .

Did/does the Ad for the rental state anything about carpeting ?

You might want to get the landlords written permission to remove the no good carpet , and buy some area carpeting , or live with bare floors .

HuAi

The floor under the carpet will likely need replacement as well. It's clearly an issue to be addressed by the LL, and as a tenant I would have never moved into the place until this was addressed by LL. Since you're already in, he doesnt have much incentive to help you.

ARS: 33-1324. Landlord to maintain fit premises

A. The landlord shall:

1. Comply with the requirements of applicable building codes materially affecting health and safety.

2. Make all repairs and do whatever is necessary to put and keep the premises in a fit and habitable condition.

3. Keep all common areas of the premises in a clean and safe condition.

4. Maintain in good and safe working order and condition all electrical, plumbing, sanitary, heating, ventilating, air-conditioning and other facilities and appliances, including elevators, supplied or required to be supplied by him.

5. Provide and maintain appropriate receptacles and conveniences for the removal of ashes, garbage, rubbish and other waste incidental to the occupancy of the dwelling unit and arrange for their removal.

6. Supply running water and reasonable amounts of hot water at all times, reasonable heat and reasonable air-conditioning or cooling where such units are installed and offered, when required by seasonal weather conditions, except where the building that includes the dwelling unit is not required by law to be equipped for that purpose or the dwelling unit is so constructed that heat, air-conditioning, cooling or hot water is generated by an installation within the exclusive control of the tenant and supplied by a direct public utility connection.

You might have an argument that it is not "clean" but I think it's an uphill battle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">