• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does a landlord have a right to come into my apartment with out my permission?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

craigs125

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in wisconsin Does a landlord have a right to enter my apartments to make repairs with out my permission? He has walked in on me a few times when I was in the bed and another time when my mom was coming out of the shower. When I confront him about this matter his response is if you do not like it move out.

johnd

Absolutely. If they are emergency repairs. If they are not emergency repairs, or if the LL does not reasonably believe an emergency exists, or if immediate access w/o notice is not stipulated in the lease, the LL must give notice.

Gail in Georgia

Yes. It's his apartment, not yours.

If these repairs are routine (for example, changing HVAC filters, checking batteries of smoke detectors), landlords or their representatives will often contact the renter beforehand.

However, if this is an emergency repair permission beforehand is not required.

Your landlord is likely to argue that all of these repairs are "emergencies".

Gail

craigs125

Yes. It's his apartment, not yours.

If these repairs are routine (for example, changing HVAC filters, checking batteries of smoke detectors), landlords or their representatives will often contact the renter beforehand.

However, if this is an emergency repair permission beforehand is not required.

Your landlord is likely to argue that all of these repairs are "emergencies".

Gail
the repairs that need to be made is not an emergency or routine repairs. I thought tha all landlords must give an tenant notice before coming into an tenant apartment. I don't think it is right for a landlord to walk in on me when I am in bed, it is rude and creepy.

craigs125

Absolutely. If they are emergency repairs. If they are not emergency repairs, or if the LL does not reasonably believe an emergency exists, or if immediate access w/o notice is not stipulated in the lease, the LL must give notice.
Just because the landlord owns the building, that does not give him the right to violate tenants rights. Is there anyone that I can call about this matter?

xylene

If your landlord in entering to harass you sexually, whatever his pretext, it is inappropriate.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Just because the landlord owns the building, that does not give him the right to violate tenants rights. Is there anyone that I can call about this matter?
See, the problem is that you don't KNOW your rights in the first place.

HuAi

Above posters are incorrect. Landlord has to abide by the lease. I bet you it states that landlord will give 24 hour notice prior to entering for non-emergency purposes. As far as what you can do about it? Send the LL a certified letter remining him of his duty every time this happens (and to create a paper trail). If you really can't take it, move and face the music in court for rent, and use your paper trail to prove LL breached the lease.

acmb05

Above posters are incorrect. Landlord has to abide by the lease. I bet you it states that landlord will give 24 hour notice prior to entering for non-emergency purposes. As far as what you can do about it? Send the LL a certified letter remining him of his duty every time this happens (and to create a paper trail). If you really can't take it, move and face the music in court for rent, and use your paper trail to prove LL breached the lease.
I'll take that bet.

Who's Liable?

INCORRECT... a LL has to abide by their STATES LL/T guides in addition to their lease. A LL cannot waive the rights afforded their tenant given by the states LL/T lawss.

acmb05

For non emergency entry only a 12 hr notice is required.
Actually Wisconsin only has "reasonable notice" Not sure if they have a definition for reasonable notice or not. Some states do some don't.

"edit" Ok depends on the site you visit I guess. I went to three of them and two of them said 12 hour notice and one said reasonable notice.

Last edited:

xylene

Above posters are incorrect.
My statement that a landlord entering to sexually harass tenants (for example to observe them sleeping or bathing), whatever the pretext or notice is inappropriate.

Given the circumstances, it could easily be a criminal matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">