• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does a new agreement make a previous agreement void?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anj89

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alaska

If I have a written receipt stating a new agreement for money paid and money owed in regards to rent, does that cancel out the previous rental agreement?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

If I have a written receipt stating a new agreement for money paid and money owed in regards to rent, does that cancel out the previous rental agreement?
Depends. It is a receipt? What are the changes regarding money owed?

anj89

Yes, it was a receipt. This is exactly what she wrote on the receipt: "$300 return of mo. rent paid - $50/day x 7. Will return deposit w/in 14 days" and the receipt is dated 8/1/16.
I paid a $500 deposit and $650 for a month's rent.

Gail in Georgia

anj89

Looking back on your previous postings, the issue seems to be whether it's worth your time and trouble to 1. pay what sounds like a large travel fee to come back to Alaska to sue your previous landlord over a $500 deposit (the court will not reimburse you for your travel costs) and 2. even if you win your judgment getting this deposit back from a landlord whom, it appears, has no money to pay you back.

Gail

justalayman

a receipt is not a contract nor does it alter the underlying existing contract.

A receipt is what it says; a documentation of receipt of money. If the amounts (balance owed as an example) are not correct it does not supersede the contract.

anj89

So, the original contract, I was dumb and didn't get a copy of when I first signed it so the next time I saw it, she had altered it. Little did she know, I had actually gotten a picture of the original before she altered it. But actually, her new version of the contract would work in my favor because it stated that rent was $650 every 30 days or $50 a day. The original rental agreement was one page long and just said rent was $650 every 30 days and had a list of about 10 house rules.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">