• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

downstairs neighbor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jessica007

What is the name of your state? NY

I've recently bought a co-op apartment in a building where many people still rent. We are required to have our aprtments carpeted as per the co-op rules. My neighbor downstairs came up on the day I was moving in to "remind" me that I needed to get carpet. 1 week later she came upstairs at 2 am b/c I walked from the bedroom to the bathroom. I asked her to stop coming to my door b/c I had the appropriate carpet. The floors do creak but that's not my fault. Lons story short she keeps coming to my door, has called the police (at 10:30 am on a sunday, told them I was hammering upstairs, which I wasn't I was sleeping on the couch) the police never reprimanded me they seemed to see where I was coming from. Last night I heard her yelling in my hallway at 130 am about something, I had been in bed since 1030. I ahve contacted the managment agent and he suggested I write her a letter stating that any further contact from her will result in a harassment complaint. I will write the letter, but I feel like that may just provoke her further. I live alone, work 50 hours a week and don't spend much time at home. But everytime I am home it seems like this lady has a problem. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

HomeGuru

jessica007 said:
What is the name of your state? NY

I've recently bought a co-op apartment in a building where many people still rent. We are required to have our aprtments carpeted as per the co-op rules. My neighbor downstairs came up on the day I was moving in to "remind" me that I needed to get carpet. 1 week later she came upstairs at 2 am b/c I walked from the bedroom to the bathroom. I asked her to stop coming to my door b/c I had the appropriate carpet. The floors do creak but that's not my fault. Lons story short she keeps coming to my door, has called the police (at 10:30 am on a sunday, told them I was hammering upstairs, which I wasn't I was sleeping on the couch) the police never reprimanded me they seemed to see where I was coming from. Last night I heard her yelling in my hallway at 130 am about something, I had been in bed since 1030. I ahve contacted the managment agent and he suggested I write her a letter stating that any further contact from her will result in a harassment complaint. I will write the letter, but I feel like that may just provoke her further. I live alone, work 50 hours a week and don't spend much time at home. But everytime I am home it seems like this lady has a problem. any advice would be greatly appreciated.
**A: you already were given advice by the management agent, what more do you want?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Just keep jumping up and down, pounding a hammer on the floor, and anything else you can think of to annoy and aggravate her.

Since she can't, and won't be able to prove anything, her continual complaints will fall on deaf ears - - you know, just like in Aesop's Fables "The Boy Who Cried Wolf".

So, just like the typical New Yorker that you are, "Don't get mad, get even!"

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">