• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drugs, Alcohol, and I don't want any of it

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

knokep

What is the name of your state? Oregon

I'm a college student and as half of us seem to do, I have serious problems.

Here's the bad news, Naive as I was I signed a one year lease that will not be up until the end of July.

My roommates are horrible, dirty, loud, and just plain rude.

I realize that there is no easy way to break my lease, but I'm trying to figure out if there are any ways to get out of it.

Here are the issues, my roommates drink just about every weekend and smoke pot daily. I'm not of drinking age and don't, and deffinetly don't smoke pot. One of them is also not 21.
During periods of being drunk my room mates have begun to break things in our house, scratch the wood floor, and break chunks out of the wall. They are so destructive and out of control I do not feel safe when I am in the house and fear for the safty of my property when I am away.
The pot issue is also starting to be a problem. At first I had the attitude of do your own thing, just don't bother me with it. Now the smell of the smoke often ends up in my room and they refuse to at least open a window.

now the questions
1) how bad does an eviction effect you? Is there such thing as renters credit? (I feel like I could get us all evicted if i were to tell my land lord about the pot
2) how should I tell the land lord about the damage, if I document(take pictures) can I still get my whole depost back?
3) If all else fails, how can I get the police involved without having to worry about my stuff being broken. My biggest fear of threatening to call the cops or actually doing it is that they will take it out on my stuff.

Thanks for your help

Paul

HomeGuru

knokep said:
What is the name of your state? Oregon

I'm a college student and as half of us seem to do, I have serious problems.

Here's the bad news, Naive as I was I signed a one year lease that will not be up until the end of July.

My roommates are horrible, dirty, loud, and just plain rude.

I realize that there is no easy way to break my lease, but I'm trying to figure out if there are any ways to get out of it.

Here are the issues, my roommates drink just about every weekend and smoke pot daily. I'm not of drinking age and don't, and deffinetly don't smoke pot. One of them is also not 21.
During periods of being drunk my room mates have begun to break things in our house, scratch the wood floor, and break chunks out of the wall. They are so destructive and out of control I do not feel safe when I am in the house and fear for the safty of my property when I am away.
The pot issue is also starting to be a problem. At first I had the attitude of do your own thing, just don't bother me with it. Now the smell of the smoke often ends up in my room and they refuse to at least open a window.

now the questions
1) how bad does an eviction effect you? Is there such thing as renters credit? (I feel like I could get us all evicted if i were to tell my land lord about the pot
2) how should I tell the land lord about the damage, if I document(take pictures) can I still get my whole depost back?
3) If all else fails, how can I get the police involved without having to worry about my stuff being broken. My biggest fear of threatening to call the cops or actually doing it is that they will take it out on my stuff.

Thanks for your help

Paul
**A: call the landlord and the police.

knokep

That is the plan,
Again, how does an eviction effect me? Is it something that will haunt me, I feel like I could probally get us all evicted because all of our names are on the lease, I would be ok with finding a new place to live, i just don't want any if there are adverse effects.

Some Random Guy

Get out of there now

before worrying about how an eviction affects you, look for a way out.

First, take pictures of every single room, closet, hallway, outdoor wall, etc. when you are alone in the place. Then tell your buddies that you are moving out. Give a good excuse like "moving closer to family" or "my brother will be moving in with me". Offer to give them $200 to help make up for the hardship of losing your rent portion (you may need to increase this amount later)

Then go talk to the landlord and tell him your moving out and you'd like to get off of the lease. Give convincing reasons like "moving out of state" or "need ot get out of this lease before can sign a new lease", "my mom says I am not allowed to break a lease, I need to get out of it legally" and/or "had a falling out with your roommates, don't want to deal with them anymore".

Try to get something in writing saying that after date X, you are not responsible. The thing is, your landlord's property is being destroyed and somebody has to pay for it. Right now its you and your buddies. Find a way to make it just your buddies since they caused the damage.

P.S. don't show anybody the picutres. Right now they just prove the damage you are responsible for. But come July they will prove what wasn't broken before you left.

knokep

ok, heres the deal, I have tried talking to my landlord, to no avail. She pretty much said she would sue me if I tried to leave before the lease was up. Here deal is that I am obviously (and she knows it) that I am the only responsible one living there and she doesn't want crap to happen when I leave. I'm also very worried that if I take any action against my roommates, ie cops, complain to them much more than I already have they will break/steal my stuff. I'm not home very much during the day because I'm at school. I'm just coming to the end of my rope and really have to figure out how to get out of there

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">