• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Early Term. of lease. What happens w/Deposit.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Squirt23

What is the name of your state? texas

I recently had to terminate my lease early do to my mother having to be put in a nursing home. when I spoke to the realestate company through who i rented my house they said that as long as they could rent the house before i moved there would be no penatly for breaking the lease. they would keep only carpet cleaning charges if i cleaned the house. they rented the house right away. i turned in my key 5/1/02 house cleaned. i was at this time told that the new tenants would be moving in on th 5th so i would be responsable for 5days of rent. i agreed. now they said they had to charge me an early term. fee of 375.00 dollars plus the 5 days and carpet cleaning. which took all my deposit of 500.00. my question then comes. if the house was rented and they incured no loss. why am i being charged 375.00 dollars?

Cvillecpm

The fee should be in a policy or in your lease. You are extremely lucky that they allowed you to break your lease. Many landlords don't AND they hold you responsible for utilities during your lease term.

Check your lease for mention of the fee and then question mgmt office. Don't push as they could charge you for the re-renting process, etc. which might be a lot more than what they have already taken.

Y

yoyoma

why are you being charged $375...this is easy..

Becuase you have plenty of money.....you rented through a real estate company, instead of a single property landlord. Most single property landlords would probably have a heart, and let you go to your sick mom, but a corporation hires FLUNKY's to do a job and not to think.

So When you go to any apartment complex, or real estate agency,broker, you are throwing money away, AND THEY KNOW IT!

They couldnt care less you mom is sick, they just want YOUR MONEY and since you have plenty... $375 more aint gonna hurt ya!

>>>>>> This is how they think.

Just make sure the $375 is in your lease as a termination fee, then they can collect it.

NOW do you understand How important it is to read your lease, and how just VALUABLE your signiture is.......and how WORTHLESS a verbal agreement is!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">