• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Electric and Gas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lamborghini

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Massachusetts.

Me and four roomates rent the top two floors of a three floor house. We recently discovered that there is no common electric box and that the washer and dryer are connected to our electric meter along with god knows what else.

There are two electric boxes and i guess the downstairs is all inclusive and is heated by oil not gas.

We have also found out that there is only one gas line into the house and heats the hot water and fuels the stove burners for both apartments. The gas payment is in our names.

We had the landlord over in the blink of an eye when we told him our complaint and about two weeks ago he said he was going to fix everything and compensate us.

Well next months rent is almost due and we haven't heard one thing from him. Do I have the right to with hold this months rent?

It's kind of a complicated situation.

Thanks for any input...

ecmst12

Withholding rent for something that is not a code violation is pretty risky business. What you've asked the LL to do is pretty complicated and could easily take longer then a month especially with the holidays going on. Before you even think about withholding rent, you should send a certified letter to your LL outlining the problem and what you expect from him as far as compensation goes. Until he's been notified in writing, he hasn't been notified. If he doesn't respond to the letter, then call code enforcement and find out if this is a violation.

BL

Even if code enforcement finds code violations , in order to with hold rent they have to rise to habitability issues .

Otherwise , send the letter RRR Certified mail ( keeping copies and documents ) .

Be aware if the LL is required to make updates that are costly , a rent increase is likely when your next renewal comes around .

I think if the LL should chose to put the utilities in his/her name , and adjust your rent(s) that would cure the problem .

Of course any amendment to a lease has to be agreed by all parties , dated and signed .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">