• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Electricity Bill Problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ASmith55

What is the name of your state? Georgia

My friends and I recently (May 2007) moved into an apartment. For three months we received no electricity bill. Now the landlord has sent us a bill for August and for over the summer. My roommates and I are not sure how to address this problem. Are we responsible for paying the summer bill since we received no notice about it until now and since the electricity is still in the landlord's name? Please help me out, I'm not exactly sure how to continue from this point.What is the name of your state?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state? Georgia

My friends and I recently (May 2007) moved into an apartment. For three months we received no electricity bill. Now the landlord has sent us a bill for August and for over the summer. My roommates and I are not sure how to address this problem. Are we responsible for paying the summer bill since we received no notice about it until now and since the electricity is still in the landlord's name? Please help me out, I'm not exactly sure how to continue from this point.What is the name of your state?
**A: you left out an important element. What does your lease state with respect to who is reponsible for the electricity. Ok. let's say you are as tenants. Then the answer is pay up.

ASmith55

The lease states that we are responsible for paying any utilities bills the landlord sends us, but considering the summer bills are being sprung on us at such a late date, does that give us any say in the matter?

Who's Liable?

The lease states that we are responsible for paying any utilities bills the landlord sends us, but considering the summer bills are being sprung on us at such a late date, does that give us any say in the matter?
Of course not! Why would it? You used the utilities while you were there did you not? While it may be inconvenient for you to get the bill now, you STILL have to pay for it, EVEN IF it wasn't covered in your lease!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">