• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

evicted b/c of condemned house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jepeeling

I live in Maryland, where I have been living in college housing in Frostburg. Over the Thanksgiving holiday my house was broken into, then on Monday morning there was a health inspector that showed up at my house. At about noon he told me that my roommates and I had until 4 o'clock to get all of our stuff and leave the premises. My question comes in here. Our rent is paid until the end of December, and the LL did not give us any place to go, should he have? Furthermore should he also be obligated to pay for this last month's rent? There are now three of us without a place to go, what should we do?

HomeGuru

I live in Maryland, where I have been living in college housing in Frostburg. Over the Thanksgiving holiday my house was broken into, then on Monday morning there was a health inspector that showed up at my house. At about noon he told me that my roommates and I had until 4 o'clock to get all of our stuff and leave the premises. My question comes in here. Our rent is paid until the end of December, and the LL did not give us any place to go, should he have? Furthermore should he also be obligated to pay for this last month's rent? There are now three of us without a place to go, what should we do?
**A: and why would you listen to the health inspector? What's wrong with the place?

FarmerJ

Did this inspector write a order and post the structure in a visible place like the front door as condemned and unfit for human habbitation ? You need a copy of the order which the inspector can provide. IT must say no one can live there. If it doesnt then you do not have to. In most places unless its a serious violation the tenant is allowed to stay for X number of days while the LL corrects it. If the condemn order stands with no one being able to live in unit then you need to search your state laws to determine if deposit and rent refund return times are shorter than normal . IF it is not addressed go to small claims court and file suit against the LL asking for return of rent money and deposit paid and provide a copy of the condemn order that says no one can live there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">