• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Evicted because of.....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

serinadb

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CALIFORNIA

Ok. This is going to sound like a lot of drama, but I need advice desperately for my elderly mother. She let my brother come stay with her for about a week, until he got a place next door. Long story short, he ended up conning everyone out of money and was strung out on drugs and alcohol- threatening my mothers life and everything. He found out about a family emergency and went to get his kids out of town. The catch, he left with my mothers landlady who he conned out of A LOT of money. My mother said he wasn't welcome back. He came back today with a UHaul and started threatening her and my family that we have to let him stay with us. We said no, and when I went to pay my moms rent (she is afraid to go home) the landlady evicted my mom!!! My brother was standing there and rubbing it in her face. To top it off, my Husbands sister lives in the same apartments, and he had them served an eviction too!!! No one has ever done anything wrong, been late on rent, etc. Can she do this? I can't even imagine what he is going to try and do to me. Does my mother get 60 days since she is older and disabled.

Alaska landlord

I'm not too familiar with Ca laws. but, I can see how a landlord would have evicted the whole lot. As long as your family is there he will continue to create problems for the landlady and her other tenants. In my opinion she did the right thing.

FarmerJ

If the affected tenants are month to month renters then the amount of notice they must be given has to meet your states laws, If the affected tenants have leases that have time left on them think about it, DO you all really want to stay in a rental where the LLs new angelic love of her life ( im being polite( has access to keys for your units ???? I think both affected tenants should get renters ins ASAP and if the notices were sent in writting GET out and away from the new love birds ASAP of course after they get nanny cams to moniter their rental units OR arrange for a apt baby sitter for any time they wont be home.

Hot Topic

I assume you mean by evicted that the landlady went to court. She can't order people to leave without going through the courts, and that's not something done overnight.

Did anyone think of calling the police when he was threatening your mother?

serinadb

I found the owner's number online and we called her. She said she never gave permission to evict any tenants. Also, she had no idea that a mentally challenged tenant just moved out because the manager (landlady) was slapping him and all sorts of weird stuff. The cops were called on my brother. The manager also verbally abuses all the tenants and goes in whoevers house she wants whenever she wants. Shes a tyrant. There is not a lot of rentals around here or they would have already moved. They were never served anything from court. She said she didn't have to?

ecmst12

It sounds like your mom was given a termination notice. She can't be evicted unless she doesn't move by the end of the notice period and then they have to take her to court first. In CA, if she has lived there for more then a year, they need to give her at LEAST 60 days notice.

None of you should be getting involved in or encouraging a dispute between the property manager and the owner. If the PM gave mom notice to move, mom needs to move.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">