• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

evicted, locked out landlord kept my belongings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hopelessly lost

What is the name of your state? ca
i was recently evicted, well actually truth be told i was locked out by the sheriff. The reason for my eviction was non-payment of rent, i have been in severe financial distress and i got behind on my rent. i recieved the 5 day notice to vacate but i thought that i would be able to borrow the money to pay the back rent before the 5th day of the notice as i had done once before. I however wasnt able to come up with the money so i was locked out and i had to leave behind ALL of my belongings.
When i left i had nowhere to go so i had to rent a room at a motel which wasnt a very economical solution but i had no other choice, since i didnt have the money needed to rent another place right away. I spoke with the LL the next day and she said that before i could get anything out of the house i would need to pay storage fees amounting to $70 a day. but in order for me to be able to get my belongings out i would need a place to take them to, keep in mind i have a full 3 bedroom townhome that is fully furnished with a 2 car garage crammed with stuff including my car that has a blown engine, so i would need a very large storage. So now i hav very little money, a daily hotel expense as well as a daily storage expense and i need to find both a new place to rent as well as a sizeable storage, it seems like an unwinnable battle. Then after about two weeks i got a call from a neighbor saying that the LL had informed him that i could come and get my stuff out without having to pay the storage fees. So i called the LL to find out what was going on and she told me that i could in fact come and get my stuff but there was a problem... it seems that the power had been turned off and i had 2 aquariums that began to smell so she had to hire some relatives to clean up, then she informed me that she had no way to pay them so she let them pick out what they wanted from my apartment! I was shocked and in disbelief, so i drove down to the complex and went to her apartment, she then proceeded to tell me that i would need to pay her $800 for storage fees and since it had been past 15 days the property in the apartment was no longer mine. What can i do?

Shay-Pari'e

hopelessly lost said:
i was recently evicted, well actually truth be told i was locked out by the sheriff. By the time you get locked out by the Sheriff, the LL spent alot of time in the court to evicted you.

The reason for my eviction was non-payment of rent, i have been in severe financial distress and i got behind on my rent. You got behind alot if the sheriff locked you out.

i recieved the 5 day notice to vacate but i thought that i would be able to borrow the money to pay the back rent before the 5th day of the notice as i had done once before. I however wasnt able to come up with the money so i was locked out and i had to leave behind ALL of my belongings. That's just how it goes. Did you think this LL needed this money? Did you think it was a free shelter?

When i left i had nowhere to go so i had to rent a room at a motel which wasnt a very economical solution but i had no other choice, since i didnt have the money needed to rent another place right away. Did you even consider the LL's economical situation?

I spoke with the LL the next day and she said that before i could get anything out of the house i would need to pay storage fees amounting to $70 a day. but in order for me to be able to get my belongings out i would need a place to take them to, keep in mind i have a full 3 bedroom townhome that is fully furnished with a 2 car garage crammed with stuff including my car that has a blown engine, so i would need a very large storage. You "HAD" a townhouse, you know, the one you lived in for free and put the owner through hell over?

So now i hav very little money, a daily hotel expense as well as a daily storage expense and i need to find both a new place to rent as well as a sizeable storage, Good luck finding a new place to rent. it seems like an unwinnable battle. Get real, grow up, and stop living off others.

Then after about two weeks i got a call from a neighbor saying that the LL had informed him that i could come and get my stuff out without having to pay the storage fees. So i called the LL to find out what was going on and she told me that i could in fact come and get my stuff but there was a problem... it seems that the power had been turned off and i had 2 aquariums that began to smell so she had to hire some relatives to clean up, then she informed me that she had no way to pay them so she let them pick out what they wanted from my apartment! I was shocked and in disbelief, You were? OMG! To even think someone cleaned up after your smelly fish.

so i drove down to the complex and went to her apartment, she then proceeded to tell me that i would need to pay her $800 for storage fees and since it had been past 15 days the property in the apartment was no longer mine. What can i do?I think you should take her to court. :rolleyes:

H

hopelessly lost

--PARIDISE-- said:
hopelessly lost said:
i was recently evicted, well actually truth be told i was locked out by the sheriff. By the time you get locked out by the Sheriff, the LL spent alot of time in the court to evicted you.

The reason for my eviction was non-payment of rent, i have been in severe financial distress and i got behind on my rent. You got behind alot if the sheriff locked you out.

i recieved the 5 day notice to vacate but i thought that i would be able to borrow the money to pay the back rent before the 5th day of the notice as i had done once before. I however wasnt able to come up with the money so i was locked out and i had to leave behind ALL of my belongings. That's just how it goes. Did you think this LL needed this money? Did you think it was a free shelter?

When i left i had nowhere to go so i had to rent a room at a motel which wasnt a very economical solution but i had no other choice, since i didnt have the money needed to rent another place right away. Did you even consider the LL's economical situation?

I spoke with the LL the next day and she said that before i could get anything out of the house i would need to pay storage fees amounting to $70 a day. but in order for me to be able to get my belongings out i would need a place to take them to, keep in mind i have a full 3 bedroom townhome that is fully furnished with a 2 car garage crammed with stuff including my car that has a blown engine, so i would need a very large storage. You "HAD" a townhouse, you know, the one you lived in for free and put the owner through hell over?

So now i hav very little money, a daily hotel expense as well as a daily storage expense and i need to find both a new place to rent as well as a sizeable storage, Good luck finding a new place to rent. it seems like an unwinnable battle. Get real, grow up, and stop living off others.

Then after about two weeks i got a call from a neighbor saying that the LL had informed him that i could come and get my stuff out without having to pay the storage fees. So i called the LL to find out what was going on and she told me that i could in fact come and get my stuff but there was a problem... it seems that the power had been turned off and i had 2 aquariums that began to smell so she had to hire some relatives to clean up, then she informed me that she had no way to pay them so she let them pick out what they wanted from my apartment! I was shocked and in disbelief, You were? OMG! To even think someone cleaned up after your smelly fish.

so i drove down to the complex and went to her apartment, she then proceeded to tell me that i would need to pay her $800 for storage fees and since it had been past 15 days the property in the apartment was no longer mine. What can i do?I think you should take her to court. :rolleyes:
Well i suppose i should have expected to be flamed by some half-wit... Its funny though, i opted for the shorter version of my story and i knew it didnt do the situation justice. But anyways, Paridise, i failed to mention that the majority of the back rent owed was payed upon my eviction via my security deposit as well as my paying first and last months rent when i moved in, and no i was not behind more than two months. And as for the financial hardship my LL has gone through, my heart doesnt really break for someone that has 20 units in prime orange county area as well as several other businesses in the area (liquor, video stores), and dont take that out of context, i have a lot of respect for someone that has been able to achieve what they have, but i dont think they are too put out by my situation. So please Paridise keep your comments to yourself unless you have something constructive to add.

Last edited:

Shay-Pari'e

(QUOTE)And as for the financial hardship my LL has gone through, my heart doesnt really break for someone that has 20 units in prime orange county area as well as several other businesses in the area (liquor, video stores), and dont take that out of context, i have a lot of respect for someone that has been able to achieve what they have, but i dont think they are too put out by my situation.(QUOTE)

Yes, I can see why you have no life. It is none of your business if the LL didn't go broke because of you, the fact is, your the one with no money and no home. Now that is funny! :D

M

michealm

lost best thing to do because of these flaming idiots is to call your local legal aide office, they can help.

HomeGuru

michealm said:
lost best thing to do because of these flaming idiots is to call your local legal aide office, they can help.
**A: and what's the difference between the legal aide office and a lemon aide office?

Shay-Pari'e

michealm said:
because of these flaming idiots ?????? And tell them what? :rolleyes:

Well I've noticed your a "Non Paying Renter" also, so who better to console him. :D

How can legal aid help him?

B

blacksunempire

Dude, wheres my couch?

Sue! If she stored the property inside the unit, she can only charge you the prorated rent for the unit as a daily storage cost. If the property is worth more than $300 then she was required to hold a public auction, not pass your stuff over to her family and friends.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">