• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Evicting Adult Child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WjTorn

What is the name of your state? Alabama

I have begun to make arrangements to evict my lazy disrespectful 20 year old daughter. My preparations include compiling all her personal documents, i.e., birth and shot records, etc. Also I will be coordinating with local law enforcement as required to ensure her uneventful departure. Would you recommend I file an unlawful detainer complaint to give this eviction "teeth"? Lastly, what else would you recommend I do to legally close off any "loose ends" and effectively terminate our relationship to include a restraint from further contact? Also, I would welcome any thoughts you have pertaining to social services I can direct my daughter to. Thank you.

WjTorn

Reply for Ozark Sophist

Thank you for your answer. No. I haven't. So, there is a requirement to provide 30 day written notice.

Cvillecpm

She is not a tenant - she is a guest or invitee and you should have discussion with an attorney and not the police.

Change the locks and go on vacation.

MandyD

She is not a tenant - she is a guest or invitee and you should have discussion with an attorney and not the police.

Change the locks and go on vacation.

She might not be a tenant, but she is a legal occupant and as such has many of the same rights as a tenant. OP should not just change the locks. That's inviting trouble upon him/her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">