• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

evicting roommate not on lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Stash

OH My roommate moved in with me in 2003 in an apartment I have been leasing since 1999. He never signed the lease though the landlady does accept his checks for half of the rent instead of him paying me every month. He was jobless and without transportation and I let him move in as I live within walking distances of many places of potential employment for him. The utilities are all in my name. Recently he lost his copies of the mailkey and needed me to make copies of mine for him. (We share the box) He became annoyed when I wouldn't just hand the key over to him especially as it was the last one. I continued to get his mail for him until I could find time to get his copies made. Several days later my mailbox key would not work. Though he denied it, I found out at the post office he had been there, reported the keys "lost" and they made new ones, rendering mine obsolete. He then proceeded to "hold" my mail and tell me he would get around to getting me a copy when he could. Obviously I went thru the ceiling as the mailkeys are my property and were provided to me when I signed the lease in 1999. As I said, he is not on it and I want him out, now. I have given him written notice explaining in detail why and sent a copy to the landlady. I have also put a hold on my mail and applied for a postage box. I have given him 45 days notice though I think he may try and stay there as our landlady is quite old (though sharp for 90!) and her attitude may just be: "handle it." The other night while confronting him it got quite physical and I literally through him out the door. I spend most eves at my girlfriend's place and do work out of the apartment during the day. He has been waiting for me to move out which I am not going to do. Which brings me here...

How do I get him out as he is not on the lease if he will not go voluntarily?

Call the police?

CHange the locks?

Isn't changing mailkeys that are not your property a Federal Offense?

Who's Liable?

You will need to give him WRITTEN 30-day notice to vacate the premises... After that time if he does not move out, you will need to evict him per your states LL/T laws... That may mean going to court...

As for the mail, since you allowed him to get mail at your box, and allowed it for several months, you shot yourself in the foot... Go to the USPS and have his name removed from the box... Get all in their face ghetto style and MAKE SURE they understand that he is NOT allowed to make new keys OR have access to your box and he is withholding mail from you...

Any new mail you receive in the box, send it back "return to sender" It is his reponsibility to make sure he gets his mail...

Stash

the pen or the sword?

Thank you. He is moving out Tuesday the end of the month. Apparently throwing him through the door worked though if I had it todo over again I would nt have done that. I have a p.o. box now and told him to take the new keys he made and shove them up his a--!! Now I wish Debt Collector would come over and run his mouth...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">