• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Evicting a roommate/tenant - no lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Derzs

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I own a home and have rented out a room to a friend for 1 1/2 years now. Things were fine until the past month when her rent was paid to me about 10 days late. I cut a lot of slack for her. Her rent is due to me on the 20th of each month (it's the day she moved in and we just kept it the 20th ever since). On May 20th of this year, she was arrested on a warrant for her arrest in another state for theft (writing bad checks) and I have no idea when she will be back, if ever. Luckily, I have never been on the receiving end of these checks, she pays cash. Unfortunately, she did not give me any money before she was taken away on May 20th and since then I have also found about other illegal activity that she is involved in. Needless to say, I want her and her stuff out NOW. We do not have any written agreement or lease for her living with me. One person I spoke with told me that I cannot just put her stuff on the curb even if there is no lease agreement because it is considered her legal residence. Is this true? She does not own any part of my home and technically she is 6 days late on rent right now and that will be much longer due to the fact that she is in jail. I cannot give her any notice again because she is in jail. Do I have any legal right to her possessions without any lease agreement? Can I legally just lock her out? Thanks for any help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">