• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Evicting Subletter from furnished apartment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

batmanmd

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Im in a crappy situation: I am currently subletting my furnished Dallas apartment (TV, bed, desk,etc) while Im out of town to a lady that has failed to pay the rent for last month. The rent is $850/month and I have $1000 deposit from her(which I requested as a guarantee against damage or theft of my furnishings in the apartment). Anyways, for the past month, she has been making excuses and pleading for extensions on the rent, which I have given her. Today was the final day when she was suppose to pay the $850 for the November rent, but instead she only sent me $200 via Moneygram (she has been sending the rent either via Moneygram or money order). I have been trying to call/email her all day, but she keeps ignoring my calls. Now, since the lease is still under my name, and with December rent soon approaching, Im at a lost on what I should do.

Im concerned about the damage/theft of my furnishings she could do if I send her an eviction notice. Since the contract is between her and I, not the apartment complex, could I just go in the apartment and either remove her stuff or my stuff till an eviction process can occur? I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Thanks

FarmerJ

since she rents from You then your going to have to follow your states laws and begin the process of eviction based on nonpayment , unfortunately its a wise choice to refuse partial payments but with december here do not accept any more partials. review your states landlord tenant laws to start the process . pretty sure your state as a initial notice time frame , do it via certified mail and I would say if she has not sent the rent out to you in full by the time dec is owed to use dec unpaid rent + the balance of nov in your filing.

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Im in a crappy situation: I am currently subletting my furnished Dallas apartment (TV, bed, desk,etc) while Im out of town to a lady that has failed to pay the rent for last month. The rent is $850/month and I have $1000 deposit from her(which I requested as a guarantee against damage or theft of my furnishings in the apartment). Anyways, for the past month, she has been making excuses and pleading for extensions on the rent, which I have given her. Today was the final day when she was suppose to pay the $850 for the November rent, but instead she only sent me $200 via Moneygram (she has been sending the rent either via Moneygram or money order). I have been trying to call/email her all day, but she keeps ignoring my calls. Now, since the lease is still under my name, and with December rent soon approaching, Im at a lost on what I should do.

Im concerned about the damage/theft of my furnishings she could do if I send her an eviction notice. Since the contract is between her and I, not the apartment complex, could I just go in the apartment and either remove her stuff or my stuff till an eviction process can occur? I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Thanks
I'm sure FarmerJ answered your question about evicting her (through the court)

But I gotta say, 850 for a room is outrageously high, and I live in NY. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">