• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Eviction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joe645

I live in Nevada and am being evicted for no specific reason but that the landlord wants to make the townhouse available for his daughter who actually owns it. Specifically, he left an eviction letter with my roommate (we have been on a month to month basis since the lease was not renewed in January) telling us to vacate by April 30, 2015. Problem is that in finding a new place, I am going to have to put up a deposit and also pay 1st months rent. If I have to pay the &700 rent on April 1, only to be evicted on the 30th doesn't make sense to me. If I don't pay, doesn't he now have to go to court and file for eviction rather than counting on me to just up and leave?

Silverplum

I live in Nevada and am being evicted for no specific reason but that the landlord wants to make the townhouse available for his daughter who actually owns it. Specifically, he left an eviction letter with my roommate (we have been on a month to month basis since the lease was not renewed in January) telling us to vacate by April 30, 2015. Problem is that in finding a new place, I am going to have to put up a deposit and also pay 1st months rent. If I have to pay the &700 rent on April 1, only to be evicted on the 30th doesn't make sense to me. If I don't pay, doesn't he now have to go to court and file for eviction rather than counting on me to just up and leave?
https://forum.freeadvice.com/search.php?searchid=2433686

It doesn't make sense for you to pay the rent for the place in which you live? You live there in April, you pay for April.

Gail in Georgia

Yet another tenant who doesn't understand the difference between an eviction and a termination of a month to month tenancy.

You currently are on a month to month lease. This means the lease begin the first day of each month and ends the last day of each month, only to repeat itself the following month UNLESS either party (the landlord OR the tenant) provides adequate notice...typically written notice...to terminate such a lease).

Your landlord has provided you with this notice that they wish to terminate this lease. No reason for doing so need be provided.

The landlord is not "evicting" you. Only a court can do an actual eviction. However, until you vacate the rental unit, you continue to owe rent. If you fail to pay rent for April, your landlord can (and should) begin the process of eviction on you because of this. Such an eviction on your credit history may very well make it more difficult for you to find another place to rent since many landlords are hesitant to rent to someone with this history.

The good news is that if you have provided this landlord with a security deposit when you moved in and you leave the rental unit clean and undamaged you should get this deposit back within the required time period for your state. So...while you may not have this money right away, you should eventually have some extra funds.

Again, while a month to month tenancy is useful in some cases (for example, if a tenant has a job that may move them around quite a bit or a student that may change schools), such tenancies offer little security for a tenant who wishes to remain in a rental unit for a period of time. For that, a longer lease is more useful.

Gail

OK-LL

So you've had the full year of your original lease plus the last few months to put together the cost of moving -- which you know you will necessarily incur because you are a tenant and therefore your situation is temporary by definition. Yet you failed to put some money aside each month to build up a moving fund. Your financial inconvenience is not typically the landlord's problem. If you do not pay for April (which is tantamount to stealing from the landlord since you will be using the premises during April), the landlord can file in court for eviction, which may have a longterm effect on your credit and ability to lease decent rentals in the future.

FarmerJ

in order to prepare for this move use of a self storage unit would help make it easier so you can begin to take things out of the unit ahead of time and clean clean clean , every thing, the insides of the windows , light fixtures, drawers , cupboards, closets stove, fridge etc and take a lot of pictures so you have proof of how clean the unit is when you move out and its general condition.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">