• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Eviction by boyfriends daughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nicke65

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
My boyfriend of 11 years is in hospital.We live together therfore I have no lease.His daughter wants me to leave before he gets out of hospital.She has told the hospital not to let me visit or leave messages for him. Can she evict me her name is not on property?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
My boyfriend of 11 years is in hospital.We live together therfore I have no lease.His daughter wants me to leave before he gets out of hospital.She has told the hospital not to let me visit or leave messages for him. Can she evict me her name is not on property?
Who actually owns the property? Does she have any POA or similar?

CdwJava

Who actually owns the property? If it is your boyfriend, then your BF would have to evict you, not the daughter.

Visitation may be an issue. Is your BF able to grant consent for visitors? Or, is he on life support or otherwise incapacitated? If he is incapacitated, has the daughter sought or obtained any power of attorney or conservatorship over dad's affairs?

Nicke65

Boyfriends daughter

He owns the 2 flat property.Only his name is on it. He is recovering from lung surgery, and not incapacitated. Talking,alert states her brother.

Proserpina

He owns the 2 flat property.Only his name is on it. He is recovering from lung surgery, and not incapacitated. Talking,alert states her brother.
Then she cannot evict you. At all. Even if. Not her decision, not her place.

If he wants you to visit, she cannot stop that either.

LdiJ

Bottom line...

Legally you are a tenant and neither your boyfriend nor his daughter could evict you. Only a judge can evict you. Your boyfriend could give you proper legal notice to move (I cannot remember if its 30 days or 60 days for IL) and if you do not move out, then they can file a court case to ask the judge to evict you, but that is all.

Do you know WHY his daughter is acting like this?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Then she cannot evict you. At all. Even if. Not her decision, not her place.

If he wants you to visit, she cannot stop that either.
\However if he has not stated a preference to her visiting, as the next of kin, she does have more rights than OP.

Nicke65

Boyfriends daughter

Were you and he fighting before his surgery? Were you and she?
No we were fine she even took me to do groceries for him.I think because he took new insurance policys out she thinks he going to leave me something.Her brother and I are still friends.and tells me about friends recovery..

Nicke65

Boyfriends daughter

Were you and he fighting before his surgery? Were you and she?
No we were fine and planning on re working the garden this spring when he feels better.When the tenents upstairs move I was going to move to second floor.Come downstairs and take care of him, cook clean,etc...After 11 years you need your space...He wants me to stay here,she wants me to leave so she can have total influence on him....

LdiJ

No we were fine and planning on re working the garden this spring when he feels better.When the tenents upstairs move I was going to move to second floor.Come downstairs and take care of him, cook clean,etc...After 11 years you need your space...He wants me to stay here,she wants me to leave so she can have total influence on him....
Then ignore her. Its not her decision to make. Of course, she may have convinced her father that you were deliberately refusing to visit him, but you can let him know the truth when he gets home.

You could also go to the hospital and ask the nurses to ask him if he would be willing to see you...in other words, bypass his daughter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">