• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Eviction -- impact on credit???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? SC

If you get evicted, does it show up on your credit report? The LL is not with an apartment complex or anything, and he wants to sue for unpaid rent -- will it affect my credit?

Also -- if I left in June (the LL knows this) & my ex gets thrown out for nonpayment in Aug., do we BOTH get "evicted" (we're both on the lease)? Obviously, I'm not going back there -- but will my name go on the eviction order even though I don't even have keys to the place (he changed the locks once I told him all my stuff was out)? :confused:

TigerD

peaceisgood said:
What is the name of your state? SC

If you get evicted, does it show up on your credit report? The LL is not with an apartment complex or anything, and he wants to sue for unpaid rent -- will it affect my credit?

Also -- if I left in June (the LL knows this) & my ex gets thrown out for nonpayment in Aug., do we BOTH get "evicted" (we're both on the lease)? Obviously, I'm not going back there -- but will my name go on the eviction order even though I don't even have keys to the place (he changed the locks once I told him all my stuff was out)? :confused:
If he sues and wins a judgement -- yes it will affect your credit if you do not pay.

As for the eviction being on your credit, no. However, there are organizations of landlords that maintain records relation to evictions and won't rent to a tenant that still owes a past landlord money. -- This was in its infantcy several years ago - when I owned a small four-plex.

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">