• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Eviction :( This is long but please read Pennsylvania

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

babybluz75

***UPDATE***Eviction in Pennsylvania

****Update on botom post!

I will start in the begining. I moved into this apartment Oct of 2005. I rented off a man that I later found out was subleasing to own the property. He then decided he did not want the property and gave it back to the owner. Whom allowed me to keep renting off of him and I signed a lease. He then 5 or 6 months after signing a lease with him sold the property to another person. He ended our lease in DEC of 06. And told me to talk to the new owners about the renting situation. He gave them my phone number. They called me and asked me what my situation was. I told them I am now a single mom. They said they had an uncle they would like to rent my place to but that they would give me until summer of 07. I said that is great thank you. Then they called me once again about a month later. In the conversation he told said "Well if you are still here through summer, I am going to need a security deposit from you" Ok that was fine. 2 weeks after just being told I would have until around the end of summer I recieved a notice to vacate by May 30th. :( I started looking for a place to rent but I live in a small community and it is rather hard to find a house big enough for myself and 3 children. He called me over to his house 2 weeks after we got the notice. He asked me then when I thought I would be able to find a place. I said well you originally told me we had until summer. He said well We will give it to the end of April and see from there. April 17th he went and filed for a court date to have me evicted. In the court papers it asks if I will owe anything the date of the hearing, which is May 7th, They marked yes, May's rent which is due the 1st. How could they ask for mays rent when they want me out then and there? In the meantime they and thier children have taken to harrassing my children and I. His son, whom lives with his mother, told us his dad said he is recording us. He has cursed at my children and called my daughter some pretty nasty names. He has also called me names. My children were in the back and accidently bumped down a piece of bed that I have back there because I am getting ready so I am ready when we find a place. I was at work, this happened around 8:30. He started screaming through the walls at my children for making noise and yelling to them about going to court. When I arrived home I was in my kitchen making a sandwhich and my children told me what had happened. I stated. I am not going to put up with this. This is harrassment he again must have had his ear against the wall or something because he started screaming at me saying "shut up you F*****G B***H. Another instance my kids were on our porch with some friends and thier 2 girls started spitting at them parents were right behind them when they were doing this laughing. The same day they turned on thier stereo full blast that it rattled my windows and left. Left it play from 8am to 8pm. They are throwing things at my van. And just today my son was in the back yard playing and got screamed at to get out of our yard. Trust me if I could find A place I would have been gone LONG already. My questions are. What can I do??? Can I file charges on this man? and once we go to court how long will I have to find a place? will we be put on the streets?? My rent is paid and is not behind I might add. Someone please some advise??What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

Last edited:

seniorjudge

I will start in the begining. I moved into this apartment Oct of 2005. I rented off a man that I later found out was subleasing to own the property. He then decided he did not want the property and gave it back to the owner. Whom allowed me to keep renting off of him and I signed a lease. He then 5 or 6 months after signing a lease with him sold the property to another person. He ended our lease in DEC of 06. And told me to talk to the new owners about the renting situation. He gave them my phone number. They called me and asked me what my situation was. I told them I am now a single mom. They said they had an uncle they would like to rent my place to but that they would give me until summer of 07. I said that is great thank you. Then they called me once again about a month later. In the conversation he told said "Well if you are still here through summer, I am going to need a security deposit from you" Ok that was fine. 2 weeks after just being told I would have until around the end of summer I recieved a notice to vacate by May 30th. :( I started looking for a place to rent but I live in a small community and it is rather hard to find a house big enough for myself and 3 children. He called me over to his house 2 weeks after we got the notice. He asked me then when I thought I would be able to find a place. I said well you originally told me we had until summer. He said well We will give it to the end of April and see from there. April 17th he went and filed for a court date to have me evicted. In the court papers it asks if I will owe anything the date of the hearing, which is May 7th, They marked yes, May's rent which is due the 1st. How could they ask for mays rent when they want me out then and there? In the meantime they and thier children have taken to harrassing my children and I. His son, whom lives with his mother, told us his dad said he is recording us. He has cursed at my children and called my daughter some pretty nasty names. He has also called me names. My children were in the back and accidently bumped down a piece of bed that I have back there because I am getting ready so I am ready when we find a place. I was at work, this happened around 8:30. He started screaming through the walls at my children for making noise and yelling to them about going to court. When I arrived home I was in my kitchen making a sandwhich and my children told me what had happened. I stated. I am not going to put up with this. This is harrassment he again must have had his ear against the wall or something because he started screaming at me saying "shut up you F*****G B***H. Another instance my kids were on our porch with some friends and thier 2 girls started spitting at them parents were right behind them when they were doing this laughing. The same day they turned on thier stereo full blast that it rattled my windows and left. Left it play from 8am to 8pm. They are throwing things at my van. And just today my son was in the back yard playing and got screamed at to get out of our yard. Trust me if I could find A place I would have been gone LONG already. My questions are. What can I do??? Can I file charges on this man? and once we go to court how long will I have to find a place? will we be put on the streets?? My rent is paid and is not behind I might add. Someone please some advise??What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
double post

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=360894

LindaP777

Look for another place and move as soon as you can. You don't want to live with kind of treatment, anyway.
As far as the eviction, based solely on what you've told us, the LL has no grounds, as rent is current and it sounds like he's trying to say the cause is "unpaid rent". Unfortunately, if it gets to the court day, you will have to go to represent yourself. Take proof of all your rent payments (cancelled checks, receipts, etc.) and well as your original lease (the new LL has to honor the old lease when he bought the property). You will have to fight the eviction, simply because you do not want this on your record.

babybluz75

Re LindaP777

In fact his reasoning on the court papers is not for unpaid rent. He is just trying to collect May's rent. His reasoning on the papers is and I quote... "Resontly purched proberty and want her out" ... I believe he means Recently purchased the property and want her out.. lol.. And I have been looking for another place and still am. Just like I said I live in a very small community where rentals are hard to find at times.

acmb05

In fact his reasoning on the court papers is not for unpaid rent. He is just trying to collect May's rent. His reasoning on the papers is and I quote... "Resontly purched proberty and want her out" ... I believe he means Recently purchased the property and want her out.. lol.. And I have been looking for another place and still am. Just like I said I live in a very small community where rentals are hard to find at times.
This is really easy. How long is your lease for that you signed with the old landlord?

If it is a year lease the new landlord has to honor it. If it a month to month lease then all he has to do is give you 30 days notice.

acmb05

Btw he will never win an eviction on that basis.

MyHouse

Have you considered buying a house? In some places, it is actually cheaper than renting. It depends upon your area, but it wouldn't hurt to check into it. Just go to Realtor.com and type in the zip code that you want to live in and choose a price range. It will tell you what the payments will be (not including taxes and insurance)...

And if these people are assaulting your kids and damaging your property, call the police.

babybluz75

New developement

There is actually a new developement in this case, that I can not discuss at the moment, Not until the right people are notified. I will indeed keep you posted though, thanks for the advise

babybluz75

Update

Ok now that the proper people were notified and everything is on its way, I am going to give an update on this post. It has been called to my attention by my daughters school that my daughter had told someone in school my lanlord had approached her and asked her to show him her breasts, and that this not only happened once but twice. He is well on his way to 40 and my daughter is 13. This was the day before he called her the names, and the day before I confronted him on calling her the names, then 3 days after that is when he filed an eviction. After telling me he would give us time.

babybluz75

No I am not fighting to stay in this place, I am fighting for time to find a new place, I live in a small community where rentals are hard to come by at times.

babybluz75

****update

Ok court hearing was today for this eviction. I hired a lawyer, A rather good one too :) Landlord got up on the stand and gave her "deed" turned out, they have yet to get the loan for the house, so they are leasing to own it. My lawyer immediatly after hearing that filed for a dismissal on grounds that the actual owner should be the one evicting me. The judge continued the hearing until she investigates it but the lawyer is sure it is going to be dismissed. The landlord had also accepted my rent check for May. So things are basically on hold.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">