• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Eviction on Month to Month Lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mRS_K

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Bellflower, CA
We have been living at our current location for almost 7 years and our owners have just sold to a development company. They have given us a 30 day notice to move and only our deposit will be given back (which obviously is less than the rent because of the increase throughout the years:mad:) we came in with a month to month lease, so my question is what are our options if we are unable to find another rental in the time allowed.:( Our owners have an attached office to our rental and we realize now that they have known for some time because they look at packed up, it's quiet sad because there is an elderly couple who have lived there for 17 years and they've received the same terms for leaving.....

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You should have been given 60 days notice. Other than that, you will need to move.

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/catenant.pdf

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Bellflower, CA
We have been living at our current location for almost 7 years and our owners have just sold to a development company. They have given us a 30 day notice to move and only our deposit will be given back (which obviously is less than the rent because of the increase throughout the years:mad:) we came in with a month to month lease, so my question is what are our options if we are unable to find another rental in the time allowed.:( Our owners have an attached office to our rental and we realize now that they have known for some time because they look at packed up, it's quiet sad because there is an elderly couple who have lived there for 17 years and they've received the same terms for leaving.....

Read this: http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/terminations.shtml

Since Bellflower doesn't have rent control, you need to either find somewhere before the notice is up, or make the landlord file an unlawful detainer action (eviction) in court.

I don't suggest you let that happen if only for one reason - it can seriously hinder future attempts to rent.

mRS_K

Thank you for the information.
I've just learned that my neighbor has been given a 15 day notice- he claims to have the right to be given financial assistance for the move, is this true?

FarmerJ

So did you call your city hall to verify if there is any rent control laws at all or displacement ordinance that promises something to rental residents whose LL sells for a tear down in your area ? ( if you didnt then do it! ) other than that as you have been told the LL must give you a 60 day notice You will still have to move no matter what even if you dug your heels in and refuse to do anything until you are given proper notice by either current LL or the new one so its up to you , if you refuse to honor the faulty notice and stay on do not ignore any summons you get because you will need to have with you a copy of that faulty notice to show a court why you stayed on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">