• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Eviction no lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

terrirussell012

I've lived at my residence since 09/01/2014.. There is no written lease or agreement of any kind. No money has been exchanged specifically for rent or other utilities or fees. I have cooked and cleaned, cared for pets, as well as several other duties. The owner of the house is the uncle of my ex-husband and a friend of mine or so I thought. Nothing was said or even mentioned to me about a problem existing. The landlord had an employee of his post a 3 day demand for compliance on my door. This occurred after I made it known I wasn't happy about the 55 year old Landlord making a sexual comment to my 17 old niece about a 19 year old friend of hers.. He stated fase or vindictive reasons on the notice and I need to know my rights.

FarmerJ

you wrote >post a 3 day demand for compliance on my door< notice for what exactly ? ( where are you in the chain of things in this picture ? ) the person who you have been assisting I take it that person is the actual tenant ? if that is the case then you can argue you are in a sublet and the person who let you stay there IS your actual landlord so any notice for you to move out should be from that person AND it has to be a proper notice for month to month tenants in your state who have lack a written lease. If that person is in need of in home services of a companion, home assistant etc then you may want to use the links above to speak to a atty who has experience in not only landlord tenant issues but perhaps ADA as well.

terrirussell012

The owner/Landlord is the serving party and also the person I've been assisting with household duties and such as stated previously. The paper or demand for compliance states that I'm violating a covenant of the lease. There is no lease at this time or at anytime prior to this demand. I was unaware of any issues between the Landlord and myself before the posting of the demand. The information contained in the demand is false and/or exaggerated throughout. This notice was posted after my stating concern about sexual comments that were verbally expressed by the Landlord to my 17 year old niece.. I know this could get real ugly if followed through.. I don't want to remain a tenant by any means, but do want an adequate amount of time to find suitable housing and get my property moved.
Am I asking to much?

Gail in Georgia

Since you continue to be deliberately vague about all of this, we can only guess what is going on...

It would appear the original tenant allowed you to move in. Things were fine until you angered the owner/landlord for whatever reason and now they want you out.

They have given you three days to move (or to be in compliance to whatever the notice stated). If no remedy the next step is for the landlord/management to file for an actual eviction through the court system. If they do this you will be notified that they have requested this by the court and you would have a certain amount of time to answer the summons. IF you do a hearing would be set up where both sides (you, the landlord) can present evidence as to why or why not the eviction should be granted. IF granted you would then need to vacate the property.

I write all of this to let you know that 1. a landlord cannot evict anyone; only a court can order an eviction and 2. all of this takes time (how long often depends on how backed up the court is with other cases). So...if you are considering moving anyway this should help give you some time to find another place to make plans to do so.

I hope this makes sense and helps to answer some of your concerns.

Gail

1234abcd

self help eviction

i was renting from tenent for 5 years,,payying month to month cash rent.no lease,the landlord was o.k with this from tenent as he seen me at apartment many times over 5 years,,the tenent who rented to me also rented to a woman who also paid cash rent,,the tenent was on HUD,the tenent then died and the other room mate took on HUD and became master tenent,,the landlord after tenent death,,came to apartment and talked to me about death of tenent,,i asked if he would accept 100 dollars in cash for partial rent,,,he took the 100 dollars from me,,,then the other tenent,,she wanted to have her friend move in apartment,,they decided to move me out,,they called landlord to evict me,,but landlord asked me to move,,he never served me with eviction papers,,,,then one morning the friend and tenent locked the doors on me as i left apartment,,called police,,police did nothing to let me back in,,,my proprty is in room,,all my clothes and pc and everything i own,,i called police many times,,i called landlord many times,,,it has been 15 days and im now homeless and my property still in there possesion,,,now there lawyer has given me a number to call her to get my property oout of the apartment,,,this is illegal and i have been wronged,,,legal aid has said they do not do this kind of legal work,,now i have only myself to represent me,,,i have no one defending me and my property from these thieves,,,i dont have money to buy lawyer to defend my riights and property,,,if i have any property left after 15 days they have had it,,,they lock me out and confiscate my property,,,this is robbery,,i live in sonoma co,,ca.i need help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">