• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Eviction notice after I give 30 days move out notice to my landlord.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dlerinc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I'm living in California.
I want to move out from my appartment due I don't have enough money to pay my rent, so I did give a thirty-days move out notice to my landlord. I didn't give a check for the last month (since I do not have). In the notice I did give information, which day I moving out after I do cleaning my apartment.
When he received my letter, he come to me and told me I do have to clean the carpet too. After 2 days he come again, and told me pay the rent for this month or he will evict me. I was trying to explane for him, I do not have a money for rent, but I did give my $1000 deposit in the time when I move in which cover this month rent, and I will do the clean ups, and we will have a move out walk trough if is anything alls have to down to give the apartment back how I received. (Just a note since I moved in: I did applied in the PG&E for new stove, fridge and gas heater - which I received and it will stay in the apartment - It did not cost anything for the landlord)
I went trough on some online help, and I figured, if he take me to the court for move out, by the time when everything is down, I'm out of the apartment.
Can somebody give me advice or some help what is going to be for me?

treese

Unless you pay the rent due, the landlord can evict you after serving a 3 day Notice to Pay ot Quit.

Giving a 30 day notice does not mean that you can get away without paying your last months rent.

If you gave the landlord a security deposit, you do not have the right to force the landlord to apply that towards your rent.

You are right, by the time you are formally evicted through the courts, you will likely already be out. However, you may end up owing more $$$ because you are forcing the landlord to file an eviction due to non-payment of rent. You could be held liable for the rent, late fees, court costs, legal fees, attorney fees, etc.

Alaska landlord

And.... any landlord with a computer willing to check your rental history will be able to see that you were evicted. They will base their decision not on what you tell them, but what the court records indicate.

Cvillecpm

Yes - suing/serving you while YOU ARE STILL IN HIS RENTAL PROPERTY is the SMART reaction/course of action to your non-payment of rent....

dlerinc

Thank you for the answers.
I was abel to produce and give $500, the half rent. (I really do not want to go for court - specially because my low-income housing application in the process)
But for me it's impossible to pull together another half.
Where this take me? Nowhere?

BL

Sell the appliances , or ask the LL if he/she wishes to purchase them/ or give rent reduction for the appliances .

If the LL agrees ,get it in writing , dated and signed .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">