• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Eviction Notice Pennsylvania

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PhillyMike

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Philadelphia, PA

Hello, after being late on rent for months I received an eviction notice from a lawyers office 10/21/10. The letter had amounts that were incorrect and also included legal fees. I called the lawyer and was told to send a letter stating how the rent was to be paid. I was told email was fine. I sent an email saying when rent was to be paid and the amount I planned on paying. I also stated that the amounts in the letter were incorrect and the letter although mailed to the correct address states the wrong apartment (B side instead of A side of building) I did not include the legal fees in the email. The note left in my door also did not have legal fees. Although I followed through with what was stated in the email. I never received a response to the email. I just received (11/23/10) a court date in the mail stating amounts that I paid plus the legal fees of $450. Does this sound right? Is it worth seeking counsel?

Searchertwin

Philadelphia, PA

Hello, after being late on rent for months I received an eviction notice from a lawyers office 10/21/10. The letter had amounts that were incorrect and also included legal fees. I called the lawyer and was told to send a letter stating how the rent was to be paid. I was told email was fine. I sent an email saying when rent was to be paid and the amount I planned on paying. I also stated that the amounts in the letter were incorrect and the letter although mailed to the correct address states the wrong apartment (B side instead of A side of building) I did not include the legal fees in the email. The note left in my door also did not have legal fees. Although I followed through with what was stated in the email. I never received a response to the email. I just received (11/23/10) a court date in the mail stating amounts that I paid plus the legal fees of $450. Does this sound right? Is it worth seeking counsel?
If you read your lease, it normally states, tenant will be liable for lawyers fee. That why it is taken for granted. Having wrong address, b instead of a, does not really matter, it got there, didn't it? What amounts are you disputing? You said you agree on the rent because you are planning on payments. If it is for damages, if you don't have pictures, you are out of luck. Does this sound right? Sure does.
But seek counsel if you like.

ecmst12

If your rent is not paid in full as of right now, LL can proceed with the eviction. Since he's had to file in court and pay lawyer's fees and court costs, those now get passed on to you. If you won't be able to pay 100% of what you owe by the court date, INCLUDING the legal fees, expect to be evicted.

PhillyMike

Thank you for your replies. When I received the letter from the lawyer its says on page 2: 'you admit to the charges if we do not here from you.' That's why I responded in writing saying I did not admit to the charges in the letter. I was told I would over the phone that I would receive a response. I never got one. Maybe I expected a better response. Does this additional info matter?

Some Random Guy

Thanks. If rent is paid in full do I still have to make the court appearance?
Show up in court and present your evidence that rent is paid in full. Otherwise, you have a very good chance of being evicted.

When I received the letter from the lawyer its says on page 2: 'you admit to the charges if we do not here from you.' That's why I responded in writing saying I did not admit to the charges in the letter. I was told I would over the phone that I would receive a response. I never got one. Maybe I expected a better response. Does this additional info matter?
The lawyer is, in my opinion, not telling the truth. Failure to respond to a letter is not an admisison of anything. Failure to respond to a court document MAY be treated by the court as an admission in certain circumstances.

I called the lawyer and was told to send a letter stating how the rent was to be paid. I was told email was fine. I sent an email saying when rent was to be paid and the amount I planned on paying.
OK, so the lawyer convinced you to admit that you owed at least part of the money. They also convinced you to make some partial payments. And the lawyer didn't even agree to accept your partial payment as payment in full. SOunds like they did a good job here.

PhillyMike

Philadelphia, PA

Thanks again for your responses. I had a chance to really read the court papers. I lists rent that was already paid along with fees listed as (other). The amount is over $2000 most of which I paid. I also received a note in my door from the landlord saying I owe $1000. I still dispute both amounts. Does this make a difference?

Hot Topic

You've already admitted that you've been late paying the rent for several months, which suggests that you should have been evicted months ago.

Take proof to the court that you paid all of the rent. If you claim you paid cash but have no receipts, you're out of luck.

ecmst12

Go to court PREPARED to pay everything you owe, with evidence of what you paid, what you believe you still owe (remember, include the court costs and legal fees since you will be ordered to pay them), and cash in hand to pay the rest, and be prepared to pay ON TIME IN FULL from now on, and you may be able to stay until the end of your lease. Don't expect to be renewed though, you're a problem tenant.

PhillyMike

You've already admitted that you've been late paying the rent for several months, which suggests that you should have been evicted months ago.

Take proof to the court that you paid all of the rent. If you claim you paid cash but have no receipts, you're out of luck.
I have been late from July-October. My lease was renewed October 1st. The eviction notice was mailed about 10/15. Also before this I was on time even over paying rent for 4 years. I have copies of all my cancelled checks. According to the court papers which do not reflect any payment between 10/15 and mid November I have over paid the rent. Will this help any?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">