• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

eviction- oklahoma

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scoot00

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? oklahoma
hi, i have been renting this house for over a year.reant is always paid. well my landlord sold the house and told us we had to leave...gave us nothing in writing...so my questions are does he have to give us a written notice and do i have to pay rent after being given the notice? thanks also there was no lease agreement.

Last edited:

reenzz

In Oklahoma, the notice to vacate (not eviction) must be given in writing.

And yes, of course you need to pay rent. Why would you think you can live there for free?

scoot00

the new owners take over the house on monday....and no i didnt think i could live there for free but seeing how they will no longer own the house come monday and the new owners want us out on monday....well i guess i have to call the landlord and say it needs to be in writing and 30 days...

you have to be literally evicted. they have to give written notice, if you continue paying rent the landlord can bring you to court for ... overstaying(?) where you stay pass the notice to leave date (30 days ) then youll just have an eviction on your record. If you dont pay rent I suggest you save the money you should be paying to get a new place with , youll be brought to court anyway. then the judge will both evect you and judgement you. Basically dont make it hard on yourself just take proper notice (written)and move.

I dont think a written notice to vacate can be backdated. maby a senior will be kind enough to clerify.

scoot00

thank you...i will pay rent but however legally the house will no longer be his on Monday....so he will be getting rent from something he doesnt even own anymore.
thanks again!!

thank you...i will pay rent but however legally the house will no longer be his on Monday....so he will be getting rent from something he doesnt even own anymore.
thanks again!!

pay it to the new owners definately dont pay him...

they cant have you out monday. too bad for them. they need to write you, give you 30 days and if your being a jerk, take you to court to have you evicted. period. no exceptions.

HomeGuru

thanks again!!
**A: until you get written notice to who you pay rent to, wait. Send L a letter asking about this and the status of your security deposit. If you paid a deposit, it must be transfered to the new owner and you must be notified in writing with the details.

FarmerJ

Just in case the current LL has tried to sell the property to a new owner as a empty unit do your self a HUGE favor, pack up valuable records /documents , reciepts & store them away from the home Take a lot of pics of your personal property just in case the new owner does a illegal lock out to you. This way you have pictures of your personal property & records secure. Then print out your states statutes for month to month renters and the amount of notice they are to get when terms are to change ,like notices to move out or rent increases. Have them handy, Also store your deposit reciept off premise. Understand that a new owner might be very frustrated and act badly to you if the seller told them they would deliver a vacant unit and seller learns by your presence otherwise. It doesnt change the fact that the buyer still must follow your states laws for landlord & tenant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">