• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Eviction from so called Corporate housing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Danielle1971

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

Here is my situation. My Fiance and I work for an Insurance restoration company. We are paid on a commission only basis. We were offered to live in "corporate housing" a home the owner has been renting for employees that need a place to stay. The company just opened an office here in Colorado and the people running the company are from out of state. Currently the only people living here are our immediate supervisors a couple from Minnasota, a co worker that has been living here rent free since November 2009 and myself and fiance. When we moved in March 6, 2010 we signed no lease and had a verbal agreement with our supervisor that in order to stay here we would pay $200 per month as well as bring in 2 "sub to" contracts per week giving us 1 week to get adjusted.Being new to the business and starting during the snowiest month of the year and the fact that our job requires us to climb on roofs in order to do an inspection is was slow going at first. However we have brought in consistant work on a weekly basis making our quota with the exception of 2 out of the 8 weeks we've been here. Some weeks bringing in more than the 2 required.
After 2 weeks of living in the home we were approached by the owner and was told our rent would be $500 a month and 2 "sub to" contracts per week. Still nothing in writing only a verbal agreement. On Fri May 14 we were told we must be out no later than next Fri. Can that possibly be legal? We receive mail here and if we are required to pay rent on a monthly basis shouldn't we have at least 30 days to find a new home. Our supervisors nor the owner of the company owns this house. It is to my understanding the home is being rented on a month to month basis.

Banned_Princess

This is an edited quote.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

Here is my situation. My Fiance and I work for an Insurance restoration company. We are paid on a commission only basis. We were offered to live in "corporate housing" a home the owner has been renting for employees that need a place to stay.

When we moved in March 6, 2010 we signed no lease and had a verbal agreement with our supervisor that in order to stay here we would pay $200 per month as well as bring in 2 "sub to" contracts per week giving us 1 week to get adjusted

we have brought in consistant work on a weekly basis making our quota with the exception of 2 out of the 8 weeks we've been here. Some weeks bringing in more than the 2 required.

After 2 weeks of living in the home we were approached by the owner and was told our rent would be $500 a month and 2 "sub to" contracts per week. Still nothing in writing only a verbal agreement.

On Fri May 14 we were told we must be out no later than next Fri.

Can that possibly be legal?

shouldn't we have at least 30 days to find a new home.

Our supervisors nor the owner of the company owns this house. It is to my understanding the home is being rented on a month to month basis.
Do you pay rent monthly?

Is it an apartment or is it a room?

Does the person you give rent to, one of the people who rent the house from the owner?

And lets just confirm theres no writing or signed contracts between you.

How did you pay him the first month, how about security?

atomizer

I didn't really spend more than 15 seconds reading your post, but it may just be that you are employees, and as such you may not qualify as tenants. Your state laws will be the deciding factor. But in the event that you are tenants, only a 30 day notice may be necessary to evict you. ether way, you are out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">