• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Evicton as soon as I turned 18.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ethomas

"Eviction" sorry for my misspellings in advance, I was typing in a hurry.

Sacramento, California.

My mother left the lease as soon as I turned 18 and I was evicted?

As soon as I turned eighteen, my mother put me on the lease, it was still agreed by management that she would pay the full rent. I lived with my younger sisters (13, 10, 16) and mother at the time. It was a section 8 apartment. I was newly eighteen (my birthday was a day before) with zero income to make rental payments. I was told an 18 year old should list themselves on the least. So I obliged. I went away to stay in the dorms at my college (for the summer) but returned to an empty apartment. I was homeless and my younger sisters were living in a park for a full week. She broke the lease and never mentioned it to me while I was away during that time an eviction happened. I discovered she had all the eviction notices in her car. The letters were in my name she never passed them on. She purchased a new apartment to live with her boyfriend and left my sisters (two out of three are autistic) in the apartment for weeks alone while hiding the letters. I am now twenty years old, on my own with an okay job and it is finally dawning on me at the devastation she has done to my credit.

Is there anything I can do? I feel so lost , it is hard to rent an apartment. I finally confronted her and she said it was it wasn't a big deal and "she tried to help her daughter".

I am having trouble renting.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The only thing you can possibly do is sue your mother but that won't prepare your credit. You need to recognize that you are responsible for contracts that you sign as an adult so sign nothing unless you completely understand it.

ethomas

Thanks....

My credit score is 600. After the eviction it was 552 or 530 during the time. Thanks, I am well aware about the power of contract signing by now. I would love to go back to my younger self kick myself in the knee but life happens. We cope, grow and move on. I don't even know where to begin with even bringing this up against her , seems like a far fetched case. Sigh.

Last edited:

single317dad

If you've found your way onto a tenant blacklist, you can dispute that information in much the same way as you can a part of your credit file. You can write to the tenant registry (UDR for example) and explain the situation. With the given facts, I doubt you would be successful. You can also ask the judge in the eviction case to seal the record. I also doubt your success in that endeavor, but if you were successful, the agencies could no longer report your eviction.

ethomas

Yes I am so lost. It feels pointless at this moment. It's depressing. But thank you. I mean its worth a try but I assume it will be like throwing air into a hoop.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">