• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-girlfriend's belongings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mlambie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

My girlfriend and i broke up the first week of july. We had been renting an apartment, and when she moved out, she left several belongings at my parent's house nearby, when she drove back to New york City. Not that this necessarily pertains to the issue at hand, but she has neglected to pay her half of the bills for the month before she moved out, approximately $50 worth( was $90 but she paid $45).

She wants me to mail her her belongings that she had left at my parents house. I said sure, just pay me back for the utilities and i'll have them on their way.

Legally speaking, Am i obligated to mail her her belongings? I saw that in California, a landlord can issue a notice of right to claim abandoned property, but I wasn't her landlord, the belongings she left behind were not at the rental unit, but at my parent's house. Does the same hold true in Michigan?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

My girlfriend and i broke up the first week of july. We had been renting an apartment, and when she moved out, she left several belongings at my parent's house nearby, when she drove back to New york City. Not that this necessarily pertains to the issue at hand, but she has neglected to pay her half of the bills for the month before she moved out, approximately $50 worth( was $90 but she paid $45).

She wants me to mail her her belongings that she had left at my parents house. I said sure, just pay me back for the utilities and i'll have them on their way.

Legally speaking, Am i obligated to mail her her belongings? I saw that in California, a landlord can issue a notice of right to claim abandoned property, but I wasn't her landlord, the belongings she left behind were not at the rental unit, but at my parent's house. Does the same hold true in Michigan?
Have your folks send her a letter CRR stating that she has 30-days to come retrieve her belonging. Have them inform her that if she does not retrieve them within 30 days they will be disposed of.

Wait until day 31, help mom and dad take the items out to the curb after you call the Salvation Army.

FarmerJ

And if the only address you have is her last known one ( the one you shared) thats where the notice can be sent via certified mail, if you have her NY state address use that sent certified, if she refuses to pick up the letter sent to her the sendee should leave it sealed and in orginal envelope when it is returned to them so they have proof should she later attempt to make a legal issue about her items being disposed of.

sandyclaus

If your ex wants her personal property, there is no requirement that you send it to her upon demand. If she wants it, let her come and retrieve it herself.

And no, you cannot hold her property hostage until she pays you the money you claim she owes you. If you are so desperate to get that money, take her to court over it. Just keep in mind that it will probably cost you more to do that then it would to just let it go.

sandyclaus

All good answers. I would however send a second letter 15 days after the first, reminding her of the first letter.
Good suggestion.

Also, DO NOT allow anyone other than her or a specifically authorized person to retrieve the items if this is what she wants to do. Require that she provide you with WRITTEN, NOTARIZED AUTHORIZATION of any persons other than herself that would be there to retrieve the items, and insist that both she and these persons sign a release of liability if they do. Just cover yourself so that she doesn't try to claim that you stole the items, or tries to claim that you gave them to someone and she didn't authorize it, and tries to say you stole them, and tries to hold you responsible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">