• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

EX-landlord problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

Hi folks, when my family and I moved into this townhouse, I was asked by the landlord if I wanted some rugs and some furniture that he was planning on throwing out. I said yes. He also asked if I wanted him to replace the worn and stained carpet. I said no because I have 8 year old twins who could be clumsy at times. Anyway, we took this furniture with us when we moved a couple of weeks ago**************......because we had no deposit coming back to us(we never paid one as we only stayed 38 days), we were paid up in full for the rent and we didn't want to see this nasty landlord again**************.....we informed him that we had moved, once we had finished cleaning the house (we only signed a one month contract when we first moved in followed by 2 week contracts because he was supposed to be a friend of a friend of a friend) So last week he comes to our new place and demands $2500 for the furniture that we took that he gave us. I took every single piece back to the old house and put it under the deck and called him. I got the neighbors back at the old house to sign a document that I had returned everything.The next day, the landlord goes to the house and does nothing....he doesn't even look to see what I had returned. Today, I get a full list of all the stuff we supposedly took from the house with of course inflated replacement prices. It was by far the most creative list I have ever read because not only did it include items that we never took and are still in the house but it also listed stains on the carpet that were listed on the original contract. When we signed the original one month contract, it had an extensive list of damage to the house that we demanded be on the contract. He refused to give me a copy of this contract and now I know why**************......so that he can accuse me of doing the damage. So before I called him to tell him to get lost, I called the neigbor who told me that since monday he has been around to the house 3 times and has not even touched the stuff I left under the deck****************************....of course i know why because he is going to take it to the dump and doesn't care about the stuff I returned but cares about ripping money off from me. I have witnesses who signed a piece of paper attesting to the fact that I returned the stuff and witnesses stating that he hasn't even touched the stuff I returned that he is claiming I still have. This is a shortened version of events but one ommission from my statements is the constant phone calls I get from this A-hole. Today, I warned him that i didn't owe him a cent and that I didn't want to hear from him again......his response was typical in that he threatened to sue me and have the sheriff turn up at my job to serve me court papers. My question is, taking into account what I said, do I have much to worry about and if he continues to call, turn up at our door or send letters do I have a case for harassment?
Believe me, If I had a chance to turn back the clock, I would have told him to get rid of the furniture instead of accepting it....any advice would be very much appreciated.
Thanks
P

CraigFL

Anyone can sue anybody for anything...

I see your biggest problem right now as the furniture is outside and not yet accepted by the ex-landlord. He will probably claim it isn't all there and weather damaged by the time he officially accepts it.

MIRAKALES

First thought… the furniture and rugs would have to have some value if tenant accepted the items as a condition of rental.
Second thought… the furniture and rugs must have had some use if tenant removed the items upon vacating the premises.

The only problem that exists is that tenant admits to removal of the items without explicit permission from LL. The neighbors can only attest to the items returned and left on the deck. The neighbors cannot confirm whether these were all the items in total. The issue of a lawsuit regarding the “missing” furniture and rugs would place the LL in a position to prove the value of the items (receipts, photographs, etc.) The fact that the furniture and rugs were left for tenants’ use indicates that items had been previously used by others, and the value would be questionable without proof of recent purchases.

First of all, the stuff was never a part of the rental agreement**************..he gave us the stuff and I accepted thinking that it now belonged to me.
I am sorry but I cannot understand how a landlord can get away with letting the property just sit under the deck in order to further his claim**************..as far as I am concerned as soon as I informed him that I had returned it and had proof that I returned it**************..the matter should have been closed. Maybe it's me but if this was to go to court, wouldn't the judge question why the a-hole left it under the deck especially if he was supposed to be so concerned about it. It just infuriates me that this guy is trying to rip me off.....its a hard lesson to learn but I will never trust another landlord and I will never accept any items from any person again. Its not just a case of my wife and i wanting to be left alone by this a-hole, his very presence in our life is making my wife's serious medical condition worse as she can't tolerate stress on her body.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">