• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Excessive noise: What to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

steveatx

City and state: Austin, Texas

I am currently renting an apartment next to a pair of roommates who listen to their music through a stereo system with a subwoofer. The rhythmic, pounding bass sounds throught my apartment at all times of the day. There is an addendum to all of our leases here stating that each noise complaint will be documented by management and more than two complaints may lead to an eviction, so I have complained to apartment management several times about this. However, the noise continues and management will not reprimand these tenants.

I would like to know what my rights are. I understand tenants have a right to quiet enjoyment of their units, but I'm not sure how much sway this carries under the law. Would I be able to notify the landlord in writing that I will terminate my lease if my right to quiet enjoyment continues to be egregiously violated? Would I be legally able to terminate the lease if nothing is done about this in a reasonable amount of time?

las365

You need to make your complaints in writing and either send them certified mail, return receipt requested, or have someone in the management office sign a copy aknowledging receipt of each complaint. Include the date and time of each incident. If it's happening while the management office is open, go and get one of them to come to your apartment so they can hear what you are complaining about. If they won't, then document that in writing as well.

Most apartment complexes in town are managed by large management companies and you can take your complaint up the chain to the corporate office. If you document sufficiently, cite the right lease provisions, and approach it in a reasonable and businesslike manner, you may be able to get the management company to release you from your obligations of the lease, but you may not.

You can contact the Austin Tenants Council to see what advice or assistance they may be able to offer.

FarmerJ

Call your city hall to learn what your city noise ordinances are and if they have a defined cut off time like say 10 pm. ANY disturbances after 10 pm call your police dept and make a report and log the date and time. then later get a copy of the report you made from the police. If you make a claim to the LL that the LL is violating the lease by not addressing the issue the more proofs you have the more standing your complaints would have if It comes down to a court problem with you and the LL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">