• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Excessive/unjustified Final Move out charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

citynorth

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
We just received our final statement for our 2B/2B apartment in Irving, TX. The charges as follows:
Carpet clean - 150
Microwave clean - 50
Stove/over clean - 50
General clean - 150
Total - $400 :)mad:)
These seem really high and unjustified charges.

My questions:
1) What are your thoughts on the charges? Are these kind of charges common?
2) What are our rights as a tenant to dispute these charges?

Thanks,
Mohit

davew128

I personally think they're high but without knowing how much needed to actually be done its hard to say. I know a lot of places throw standard cleaning costs in no matter what, no matter how well or professionally you clean it.

STEPHAN

To me they do not sound too high - if they were justified. You did not tell us anything about that. How did you leave the apartment. Do you have pictures?

Gail in Georgia

"1) What are your thoughts on the charges? Are these kind of charges common?"

Depends on the condition of the place when you left it. I hate cleaning ovens and stoves and charge at least $75 if I have to do this. $150 for carpet cleaning isn't unusual (the folks who do carpet cleaning for me charged a very reasonable $50 when they had to do just one room).

"2) What are our rights as a tenant to dispute these charges?"

1. Write what is known as a "demand" letter to the landlord, demanding what you believe you are fairly owed and giving them a certain amount of time (say, two weeks after they receive the letter) to return these funds.

2. If nothing is received to your satisfaction, your next step is to file a lawsuit for these funds. Such lawsuits are typically handled through Small Claims court as they involve relatively small amounts of funds in dispute.

3. In this court, you present pictures of the condition of the rental unit at move out (in this case, the stove, the microwave, the carpet and the general space) to dispute the landlords claim that any of this needed cleaning.

Gail

FarmerJ

last I knew in a local ad up here LDH special was 99.00 and 119 and that's of course with them moving the furniture so with a pro coming in to clean the carpet even if its empty I can see it coming to 150 especially if they were able to get a older carpet to look nice with cleaning ( LDH = living room & dining and hall ) LOL the days of a LDH special going for 24.95 26.95 etc are long gone , Stoves and ovens are one hell of a pita to clean, cleaning some heat radiators is just as bad and last but not least having to scrub out cupboards and even if its just the insides of windows its all work.

citynorth

Thank you Gail, Stephan, davew128 for your prompt response.
Overall condition of the apartment including appliances was good. But did not take any pictures nor did i get the appliances cleaned before leaving. So, i guess the bottomline is that there is really not much i could do than just pay the $400?
Thanks!!

xylene

The microwave is a bit of a red flag.

What kind of microwave? Because $50 could be more than the depreciated value of the thing...

STEPHAN

So, i guess the bottomline is that there is really not much i could do than just pay the $400?
You can always try to negotiate. If you offer $300 - maybe the agree, as they will not go to court for $100. Do you need them as a reference?

citynorth

You can always try to negotiate. If you offer $300 - maybe the agree, as they will not go to court for $100. Do you need them as a reference?
No..lol
Will try to negotiate, but could they influence my credit rating if i chose not to pay?

STEPHAN

If you do not pay and they sue you, it will be in court records. Many LLs check them. If he gives to a collection agency, it might end up in your credit history as well.

Why leave it open and not negotiate somehow? At the end, you caused it. Why not just be responsible for it?

citynorth

If you do not pay and they sue you, it will be in court records. Many LLs check them. If he gives to a collection agency, it might end up in your credit history as well.

Why leave it open and not negotiate somehow? At the end, you caused it. Why not just be responsible for it?
Yup, i would certainly want to pay but an appropriate amount. Their charges just seemed unjustified. My intent of question of not paying was for my understanding purpose and to use that as a tool of negotiation and not otherwise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">