• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expired Lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chrissie_2151

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

My husband and I leased an apartment in wisconsin. We started out in a one bedroom on the lower level. After 9 months past, a two bedroom apartment became available so we talked to the landlord and he agreed to let us move up. We never signed a new lease for the two bedroom (he was supposed to mail it never came despite our requests). Our lease for the one bedroom expired three months later and still no new lease. This past May, (one and one half years later) we purchased a home and called to let him know we would be putting our 30 day notice in. He refused to except unless it was a 60 days notice. After some arguing, him name calling I was fed up and just wanted it to be over so I sent a 60 day. We were out on June 4th, and he had the onsite manager had the keys on June 6th. He now wants to charge us for the last months rent (June) and for carpet cleaning charge. Every tenant that has left his apartment has needed there carpets cleaned and he always did it with out charging anyone because of normal wear and tear. Please help!!

The one bedroom apartment was rented out 1 month after we moved to the two bedroom, and the two bedroom was rented out as of July 1st.

Last edited:

south

The landlord may have an issue, you vactaed June 4th and he did not get the keys until June 6th.

If your lease is from the 1st each month then you have gone into a new month, you should have vacated on the 31st May and handed keys in on the 31st May.

chrissie_2151 said:
What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

My husband and I leased an apartment in wisconsin. We started out in a one bedroom on the lower level. After 9 months past, a two bedroom apartment became available so we talked to the landlord and he agreed to let us move up. We never signed a new lease for the two bedroom (he was supposed to mail it never came despite our requests). Our lease for the one bedroom expired three months later and still no new lease. This past May, (one and one half years later) we purchased a home and called to let him know we would be putting our 30 day notice in. He refused to except unless it was a 60 days notice. After some arguing, him name calling I was fed up and just wanted it to be over so I sent a 60 day. We were out on June 4th, and he had the onsite manager had the keys on June 6th. He now wants to charge us for the last months rent (June) and for carpet cleaning charge. Every tenant that has left his apartment has needed there carpets cleaned and he always did it with out charging anyone because of normal wear and tear. Please help!!

The one bedroom apartment was rented out 1 month after we moved to the two bedroom, and the two bedroom was rented out as of July 1st.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">