• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

False claims from begrudged neighbor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shelbysgrammy90

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wshington

I have been served with a Notice to Comply With the Lease/Rental Agreement from my landlord. The violation is "people talking loud in my driveway, talking on the phone sometimes all night!, disturbing the peace and quite; creating intolerable nuisance. Example: June 22nd 2am at night 2010 Noise". I am being charged $40.00 to have this delivered to me.

This violation is untrue. I did have guest during this time but at no time was anyone talking above normal tone. Our houses are close together. Any time someone is outside talking it can be heard by other tenants. No one was on the phone at 2 am. I don't know how to fight this. I am sure it is a complaint from my neighbor to the West. I also do not feel I should be charged $40.00 to have the paper delivered to me when the manager could have hand delivered or it could have been sent through the mail.

There seems to be no fair hearing process or anything. It seems to me the landlord is only taking a begrudged neighbors allegations and basically running with it.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Mass_Shyster

Check your lease to see if it requires you to pay the fee. If your lease does not require the payment, tell the LL to pound sand.

NOTE: Telling LL to pound sand normally entails moving at the end of the lease. LL is under no obligation to renew the lease.

Hot Topic

So you can verify that no one was on the telephone at 2 a.m. because you were awake at that time?

It's probably "my thing," but I always wonder why people have visitors at 1, 2 and 3 a.m., and somehow they're "always" quiet and respectful of others.

Last edited:

FarmerJ

Insist via certified mail that the complaint is not true and insist your LL provide you with a copy of a police report for disturbing the peace/ noise. then firmly tell the LL there is nothing to discuss until a police report for disturbing the peace can be produced and you wont be paying this fee. Expect your LL to be mad , dont expect a renewal.

dscurlock

Insist via certified mail that the complaint is not true and insist your LL provide you with a copy of a police report for disturbing the peace/ noise. then firmly tell the LL there is nothing to discuss until a police report for disturbing the peace can be produced and you wont be paying this fee. Expect your LL to be mad , dont expect a renewal.
If a LL wants to crash a renewal over this BS then I would say
so be it...It will cost them more in the end to turn over the
apartment (cleaning costs) other costs, then the rent the
place out again...hardly seems worth doing this over $40

but I would say show me the police report concerning this
matter or do not bother me again.

If what you say is true, then stand up for your rights...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">