• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Family eviction question in California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ajscott

I own a home in Sacramento, California that I let my father stay in free of charge while I pay the mortgage and the electricity bills. I have no lease agreement with my father. I claim him on my taxes as a dependent and have never collected money from him for living there.

I have a room in the home where I keep clothes, books, etc. I also receive mail and have my car registered there but have not physically moved in due to various personal reasons.

The issue is my father got a girlfriend and let her stay there for several months without telling me. She also had cable TV installed while staying there in her name and now they're having relationship issues and she's refusing to move out.

What options do I have for evicting one or both of them?

LdiJ

I own a home in Sacramento, California that I let my father stay in free of charge while I pay the mortgage and the electricity bills. I have no lease agreement with my father. I claim him on my taxes as a dependent and have never collected money from him for living there.

I have a room in the home where I keep clothes, books, etc. I also receive mail and have my car registered there but have not physically moved in due to various personal reasons.

The issue is my father got a girlfriend and let her stay there for several months without telling me. She also had cable TV installed while staying there in her name and now they're having relationship issues and she's refusing to move out.

What options do I have for evicting one or both of them?
Are you fed up with both of them or is it really the girlfriend that you want to get out of the home? Since there is no written lease they are both individual tenants and I would think that either one of them could be evicted, individually. However, you would probably be wise to get a consult with a local real estate attorney.

ajscott

Are you fed up with both of them or is it really the girlfriend that you want to get out of the home? Since there is no written lease they are both individual tenants and I would think that either one of them could be evicted, individually. However, you would probably be wise to get a consult with a local real estate attorney.
I need to get rid of her. I will evict my father at this point if I have to. I guess I'll be asking some realtor friends for attorney recommendations tomorrow.

BL

I need to get rid of her. I will evict my father at this point if I have to. I guess I'll be asking some realtor friends for attorney recommendations tomorrow.
good. consult with whom is knowledgeable ,but what makes you think if you rid his GF .he won't invite another?

Issues ? Doesn't really explain. Married & long term relations have Issues now n then. It's part of life.

What is it you are seeking ?

You want to re=rent to none family ? Chose wisly and yes talk to your relator friends.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">