• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

felon

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

strrgrl

What is the name of your state?Oklahoma. My landlord says that My ex husband can't live with me because he is a felon and not allowed on the property. We live in rent assisted apartments. Isn't this discrimination?

What discrimination?

What discrimination? he is a criminal and the landlord doesn't want him around of course it would help if you told us what he was convicted of. If your landlord lets him stay then he is putting at risk other tenants possibly and also leaving himself liable to be sued by other tenants. there is no law that says your landlord has to let him live with you. If you really want some expert advice from landlords go to mrlandlord.com and explain it like you did here.

I just thought

I just thought that if she went to mrlandlord that there was links for laws for each state plus if she didn't believe anyone here she could ask someone who knows the laws like long term landlords etc.

treese

Strrgrl, when did convicted felons become a protected class?

The LL has the right to refuse allowing your ex husband to live on the property.

zippysgoddess

Many states also have laws regarding someone convicted of a felony living anywhere that is rent assisted or considered public housing. You may want to check your paperwork for your state, that may be another reason he is so adamant about it.

I live in Pa and if you are in assisted rentals or in public housing and have a felony conviction or get convicted after moving in, you automatically lose all assistance and break your lease.

Another thing

Another thing and that is I am sure that when you applied for housing and moved in that he was not on lease and you could end up losing your housing also because that housing is suppose to be for you and your kids not some criminal

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">