• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Final walk out inspection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jkimu001

I used to live in Riverside, CA. I recently did a move out inspection with my land lord. She noted that some light bulbs need replacing and some touch up paint was needed on some of the walls. She gave us a sign inspection stating what needed to be fixed. Keep in mind the house was empty and we moved all of our belongings out prior to this inspection. 2 days after the inspection she emails us and saying there are all these problems with the carpet and refrigerator and she is going to charge us for these problems and the time she had to take out of her day to drive to the property.

Im pretty sure she cannot charge us for these issues. We have a signed document stating everything was fine except normal wear and tear.

Gail in Georgia

"I'm pretty sure she cannot charge us for this issues".

If you are assuming she cannot charge you for these based on the final inspection, you are assuming incorrectly.

All states, even those that require a final move out inspection, give a landlord a certain amount of time to return the tenants security deposit. It is not unusual that further damage above normal wear and tear may be found after this walk through.

The landlord cannot charge you for her time to undertake the walk through.

You might want to refresh yourself on the requirements for such for your state:

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/sec-deposit.shtml

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">