• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

finance company repoed mobile home can i hold the home for back rent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

1976impala said:
What is the name of your state? ohio

"finance company repoed mobile home can i hold the home for back rent?"

My response:

Damn!!

It's too bad that this thread didn't get started by someone from Kentucky, Alabama, or Georgia. It would have been PERFECT!

IAAL

longneck

1976impala said:
finance company repoed mobile home can i hold the home for back rent?
IAAL: since it's not from one of those states when a refrigerator on the front porch is a status symbol, it unfortunately deserves an answer. :)

the answer is probably no, unless the company that holds the lien is also the company that the lease is written with. and even if that is true, the lease and financing agreement would probably both have to allow for it.

south

I presume you are the landlord leasing space to a mobile home owner so disallow access on to your land by the repo company.

1976impala said:
What is the name of your state? ohio

Ah, memories...an abandoned trailer...what a pita.

Check Ohio law/lawyer for possessory liens. You can't hold the trailer hostage (that's a whole 'nother episode on Redneck Round Up) but you might be able to get lot rent until it's moved off your land. When our tenants abandoned their trailer, a possessory lien against the finance company was an option.

You'll have to file suit against the previous owner for back rent. It's not the finance company's problem that your tenants were irresponsible.

1976impala

<tenant and finance co. contract>
says in their contract if tenant fails to promptly pay rent and lien you may
do so on my behalf . i told them they cant move it until back rent is paid
im not tring to keep it i want my money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">