• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fire in Commercial Building

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

ddmm617

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I am a tenant in a commercial building. A fire in the building badly damaged my business and the roof, basement and windows of the building. The fire was 8 months ago.

The landlord still has not made any repairs. My insurance co. is getting inpatient, but the landlord has told me he is having trouble getting the building permit. He is also pressuring me to make signifigant upgrades to my space.

I just discovered the landlord has had a building permit for months and is lying about it. I have a meeting scheduled with my lawyer, but I'm not sure of the best strategy. At this point if the landlord paid me something I would just leave the premises. The problem is I can't afford to move and rebuild without getting some money. Has he committed insurance fraud by telling everyone he did not have a permit?

Thanks for any advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">