• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fire/Door busted into

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

enr.designs

Oklahoma
To be perfectly frank I was passed out drunk and a fire started in my microwave. My neighbors busted down my door and called the fire department. There were no damages to the apartment from the small fire in my microwave. The only damages were from my neighbors busting my door down. The management says that I am responsible for the damages and must pay for the repairs. Is this true?

Last edited:

Just Blue

Oklahoma
To be perfectly frank I was passed out drunk and a fire started in my microwave. My neighbors busted down my door and called the fire department. There where no damages to the apartment from the small fire in my microwave. The only damages were from my neighbors busting my door down. The management says that I am responsible for the damages and must pay for the repairs. Is this true?
Yes. You are. Say a big THANK YOU to the neighbor who saved your life.

enr.designs

I did. They actually told me the neighbors were responsible for the repairs if they "wanted to fess up to it" (her exact words). If you ask me thats insane. They were just doing what they thought was right.

Last edited:

enr.designs

So why are you posting here then? Do you expect your landlord to pay for these damages?

Gail
Yes. I was told by maintenance that someone would be coming to repair it. A month later no one has come to repair it and then I speak to someone in the office that tells me it's my responsibility. I'm posting this because I want to know if this is legally my responsibility. It was an accident. There was no damage from the accident I caused.

reenzz

Yes. I was told by maintenance that someone would be coming to repair it. A month later no one has come to repair it and then I speak to someone in the office that tells me it's my responsibility. I'm posting this because I want to know if this is legally my responsibility. It was an accident. There was no damage from the accident I caused.

The damage was caused by your negligence. You are fully responsible.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
When you rear-end someone in a car, it's an accident, but your'e still responsible for the damage.

Yes, it's your responsibility.

Gail in Georgia

"It was an accident. There was no damage from the accident I caused. "

What do you mean it was "an accident"? Your neighbors had to break down the door because they smelled the smoke or heard the smoke alarm you were too drunk (or stupid) to hear because you were flat out passed out.

Frankly, they should have let you burn up with your microwave....except it might have caught their rental unit on fire also.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">