• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fire in rental house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

me5555

my family and i (husband and two kids) have beenliving in a rental house. the first year there was a signed lease the second year we just continued on a monthly basis under the same lease there was recentlly a fire in the dwelling ,i understand i am not covered under her home owners but she doesnt want to continue renting the dwelling after the repairs she wants to sell the house we have in writing a sign note on the bottom of the origional lease stating we changed the due date for rent and the lease would expire in 8-14-01 can she sell the house and not let us move back in, can she delay the repairs making it infessiable for us to move back in what are our rights as tentants she also wants to charge us the $500 deductable for her homeowners insurance.

D

dj1

#1 since you have been BAD parents in NOT having a lease and NOT having renters Insurance she is entitled to sue you for her $500 deductable as long as YOU are the cause of the fire.

#2 Its her house she can do as she pleases, if you caused the fire and pay her the $500 you might be able to move back in, and make her stick to her lease but why would you?

#3 what state are you in? Also it could be a valid note if you and the landlord signed it to 8/14/2001. and the original lease doesnt say the lease is for ONE YEAR...then it would be classified as a mistake.

#4 The landlord might be able to evict you for breaking the lease by causing the fire, especially if you dont pay her the $500 deductable.

So give us all the details.....

M

me5555

more info & questions RE:Fire in Rental house

OK.. I live in forida,We are not the richest people in the world we are doing ok but its taken us a lot of work to get where we are. The origional lease was for a period of one year the additional note at the bottom of the lease was added when we changed the due date. We do not have the finicial means to uproot and move to a new rental property
the money we do have set aside we are saving toward the purchase of a house which was to be the house were in. The fire was an accident no one was at home and the fire marshall says it was caused by a faulty extension cord.
If we were forced to move we wouldnt be able to purchase a house come the summer like we planned. The landlord although understanding to our cirmustances didnot refund us any of our Febuary rent which was paid on the 15th of Feb the fire happen on the 23rd of Feb ( she used it for the deductable)meanwhile we are staying at a hotel and the house which had no structal damage just smoke and water damage (from the fish tank that burst)is being worked on in a aggravating slow pace. I know my out of pocket expenses and my damaged property is my resposibility what I truly need to Know is that I have a roof over my families head when the repairs our done or do I seriously have to start looking for a new place. Can I force the landlord to honor the lease as it stands. If it wasn't for this fire we would of probally continued renting until we purchased said house
in the summer unfortally We are not ready finically do it before then.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">