• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First & Last months rent and Pet Deposit and Security Deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kmccleary

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Delaware

I am being asked to provide first months rent, last months rent, a pet deposit and a security deposit. Is this legal in the state of delaware. Also, from how I read the agreement he is isn't asking in the original signed agreement last months rent.

Baranov

Should the landlord be asking more than what state law deems lawful, the market will dictate whether or not the unit remains vacant. If you feel that he is asking more than he should be asking, then don't rent. There are plenty of apartments that will be asking for one months rent along with a pet deposit.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Delaware

I am being asked to provide first months rent, last months rent, a pet deposit and a security deposit. Is this legal in the state of delaware. Also, from how I read the agreement he is isn't asking in the original signed agreement last months rent.
Yes to all of the above.

Delaware allows for no more 1 month security deposit, plus 1 month pet deposit (security deposit specifically for pet damages). Plus they can demand last month's rent as well.

All deposits must be placed in a Delaware bank account for safekeeping, and the LL must make the deposit account info available upon request. Should they fail to deposit in a Delaware bank account or provide the deposit account info within 20 days of the request, LL loses the right to hold any security deposit funds and must all money to you. If they refuse to return the security deposit when being unlawfully held, you may be able to sue for twice the security deposit in a court action to recover it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">