• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First, Last and Security Deposit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jjdlr83

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

We have lived in this house since October 2014. We entered the lease with the security deposit and 1st month's rent. We renewed the lease in December 2015 on the same terms. We were issued a new lease in November 2016 on the same terms, but our roommate told us and the landlord that she was moving out. We told the landlord we want to renew our one-year lease, and we would search for a new roommate and have everything completed by 02/01/2017.

On 01/17/17, I told the landlord that we found a new roommate and we were ready to pay the security deposit and first month's rent. Upon telling him, he also requested that we provide the last month's rent on top of the first and security deposit. I cannot reasonably pay this amount in such a short time frame. Can he request this from us? What are my rights?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

We have lived in this house since October 2014. We entered the lease with the security deposit and 1st month's rent. We renewed the lease in December 2015 on the same terms. We were issued a new lease in November 2016 on the same terms, but our roommate told us and the landlord that she was moving out. We told the landlord we want to renew our one-year lease, and we would search for a new roommate and have everything completed by 02/01/2017.

On 01/17/17, I told the landlord that we found a new roommate and we were ready to pay the security deposit and first month's rent. Upon telling him, he also requested that we provide the last month's rent on top of the first and security deposit. I cannot reasonably pay this amount in such a short time frame. Can he request this from us? What are my rights?
Is it provided as a furnished unit?
Is there a waterbed in the unit?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
it is unfurnished.

no waterbed
The LL is allowed to charge a maximum of two months as security deposit. Asking you to pay rent for the upcoming month, plus an amount equivalent to 2 months rent as a security deposit (whatever he actually calls it) is legal.

FarmerJ

You wrote >We were issued a new lease in November 2016 on the same terms,< SO did every one renew with that lease ? You wrote > but our roommate told us and the landlord that she was moving out. < was this before a lease was renewed with ALL of you or after ALL of you renewed ? ( this is very important ) WHen you wrote > We told the landlord we want to renew our one-year lease, ( it would still be handy to know if you actually signed a new lease the one you mentioned for 11/ 2016 or if you did not and let it go to a month to month rental ? )

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">