• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Flaky Landlord: What are my rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hindsight2040

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Background:

Move into an apartment with lease starting February 1, 2009. Lease states that rent is 500 and includes all utilities: electric (heat & hot water), water, sewage, trash removal, cable, and internet. Was informed that cable and internet was set up before I moved in.

Soon discover that cable and internet are not set up, but will be by beginning of next week.

A day later, snow storm and power outage for 1 1/2 days.

Power reactivated for one day.

Suddenly several things in apartment are not working. Ceiling lights, central heat, stove, washer/dryer, fridge, and hot water. All that is working in way of electricity are things running off of outlets.

Call landlord immediately, he tells me he will send one of his contractors next day, and provides me (and other tenants) with space heaters.

3 days, one short visit from contractor, no responses.

Day after that he tells me that he can't fix the problem, because it is the Phase 1 power supply to the building, and must be fixed by PECO. Claims he reported problem to PECO.

Call him the next day and he gives me the number to PECO. I call them, discover I need his billing address, billing phone number (he has a lot of numbers), and account number. Retrieve info from him, told details of the account reports.

Speak to PECO employee over the phone: Apparently a report has been made, but nobody has been dispatched to the property. I ask what I need to do to have this done. Simply state that the situation is a potential emergency, requires immediate attention, and request one. I do so, noting the fact the landlord did not take this extra step, and that the only report was made 2 days before.

After being told for 2 days that somebody was "Just dispatched and will be there within a couple of hours." I eventually begin to call PECO aggressively. I put in about 7 "reports" and tell the operators that they can have an electrician spend 2 hours at the apartment, or spend much more painful hours on the phone with me. Total time invested: abut 7 hours on the phone. 3 days after my initial call, problem is fixed.

Internet is installed February 13 and cable February 24.

March 1: hot water stops working on 2nd floor including kitchen and a roommate's bathroom. I call the landlord to let him know about the problem and ask about instructions for rent check. Upon hearing another problem with the place, he abruptly brushes me off and says he will call me back in a couple of days. No time to tell me what to do with the rent check.

The Phone Call/Disagreement

March 6: I discover a voicemail from landlord demanding my rent the next day, in person, at his house, across town. I have had midterms for the last 3 days, and don't have a checkbook. I have to use cashier's check, and hesitated in purchasing it until I was given instructions, as not to have $500 bucks tied up in a single piece of paper floating around my room. His tone is accusatory and impatient. He states that according to my lease I have 5 days after the 1st to pay, and I agreed to vacate the property immediately if I can't as per the lease. But, he doesn't want to do any of that, since he is "such a nice guy". He says he will evaluate a a late fee of $50, also not stated in lease.

I look over my lease and discover no such 5 day clause exists. And I know enough to know how ineffectual this vacate property clause is from an eviction standpoint, which time consuming and costly for him.

I am not aware of my specific legal rights, but I know basic things. The landlord MUST provide me with heat and electric, even if he isn't paying. He is not liable for the outage, but he did not exhaust all resources to correct this problem. He made on phone call and made no follow up. Payment for utilities is implied as compiled in the rent. The fact that these services (both mandatory and unnecessary) are listed in the lease seems to specify that I am receiving these services. By not providing me with services, I think he might be violating the lease in a way that has immediate consequences (I put rent check in escrow or something) as opposed to the months it might take him to evict me, for being 5 days late on rent, without reminder or instructions.

I can understand how my negligence on the rent is a major annoyance, but I ignored huge oversight like him (the electric account holder) not putting forth effort to make my (and roommates) conditions livable. As far as the cable and internet, this is unimportant, apart from the fact that I was lied to about their status when I moved in, and then given different dates for their installment.

I call him and tell him that missing the rent was an act of forgetfulness (this is the first lease in my name without a cosigner) but that I am offended by his treatment of the situation. I forgave a lot of shortcomings upon moving in and extended him a lot of understanding because he has about a dozen properties and 50 tenants. I asked him how he can remember that my rent is late in the next half hour, but not my name.

I politely summarize all the things that happened over the last month, without discussing the lease or the legal part of it. I tell him that I don't want unnecessary complications.

He systematically denies my account of everything, even though he was not present in the house when this was occurring, and can't even remember my name.
Has no recollection of giving me account information and calling PECO, or calling him constantly before that. Claims that if the power was out for such time frame, I must not have told him or else he would have had it fixed within 24. Doesn't seem to remember that PECO has to fix it.
He says that he was supplying me "electricity" nominally, and that the space heaters provided exempt him from being responsible for an uncomfortable situation. He says that I had internet the entire time, and have no reason to complain. FYI I had been borrowing the nearest linksys, which was unreliable, slow, and not a substitute for the network we were promised.

He says that cable was set up in other tenants room (but not the common room), so cable was being provided, even if I didn't have the convenience of it in my room initially.
1. Rooms have individual locks, bathrooms, and leases.
2. I lease my room, only, I don't share a lease with roommates. Shouldn't I get cable in my room?

He denies remembering my phone call days earlier, telling him about the hot water not working. And admonishes me for not calling him for instructions on how to pay rent. Ignoring that:
1. I attempted to do this
2. To expect a tenant to pursue her landlord on multiple occasions in order to have the opportunity to pay him money is contrary to human nature, and common sense.

He also reminds me that he accepted my pet cat without a deposit. As if to make me feel guilty, or scare me into thinking I'll have to pay one now.

He disengages in the conversation and says he'll talk to me tomorrow.

ADVICE?

What are my rights? I don't want to spend time arguing with this man, and want to come to a compromise. Overall, the apartment is nicely renovated, furnished, and close to campus. I don't want an eviction notice on my credit, and I can't afford a lawyer or anything. I honestly think he will comply, but I want to be armed with knowledge of the law, because I think it is written in my favor on this matter....

Gail in Georgia

Pay the rent you "forgot" about plus any late fees or face the eviction process. Your argument about requiring cable in your room is nonsense.

Gail

Cvillecpm

Agreed * IT WAS A SNOW STORM and your lease will have wording that the landlord is NOT responsible for the disruption of utilities.

Pay your rent and pay more attention!!!

hindsight2040

1. There is no five day period or late fee in the lease or state law that I found.
2. The snow storm occurred separately from this long term cessation of electricity.
3. The "disruption" of utilities lasted about a week and a half (no heat, hot water, all described as requisites for livable conditions), and I, the tenant, had to put forth the effort to correct it. Landlord made one pathetic phone call and seemed more concerned with ignoring the phone calls of 8 angry tenants than doing anything. It is apparent that had I not called the electric company, it would have not been corrected.
4. I do not have access to cable in another's room as it is leased specifically to said roommate and locked off. There is no cable in common room. You'll see this apartment pattern in major cities next to universities.

I know this account was long-winded, but if you're going to provide analysis, at least read everything, not glaze over details and select ones that remind you of dead-beat tenants. If I wanted a limbic knee-jerk reaction from somebody equally inclined to usurp power over others, I'd go to church or something equally inane.

Gail, what advantages (specifically) would he have in this process? Even if I hypothetically put rent in escrow?

Does anybody have concrete LEGAL explanation as to why my landlord would be not at all obligated to assume responsibility, or why he might feel inclined to compromise. A related anecdote maybe?

I'm paying my rent and will not get evicted. I just wanted insight from somebody that was LESS emotionally invested in this type of situation than me and is more knowledgeable...

Anecdote:
When a past landlord tried to take two months worth of utilities and some other unfounded charges from my security deposit, I told them they had to produce receipts dated before the remainder check is was issued (or else they could run to Loews to spite me) that conformed within 5 dollars of each charge, or else I would take them to court. Later I found out this isn't required in PA. Yet I got that check certified mail faster than a summons from the Third Reich. Why? Receipt or not the request was legitimate, and they had the burden of proof. Plus, in PA, if (and when) they were discovered to be liars they pay double. Either way I bet they think twice every time they try to exploit people this way.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Background:

Move into an apartment with lease starting February 1, 2009. Lease states that rent is 500 and includes all utilities: electric (heat & hot water), water, sewage, trash removal, cable, and internet. Was informed that cable and internet was set up before I moved in.

Soon discover that cable and internet are not set up, but will be by beginning of next week.

A day later, snow storm and power outage for 1 1/2 days.

Power reactivated for one day.

Suddenly several things in apartment are not working. Ceiling lights, central heat, stove, washer/dryer, fridge, and hot water. All that is working in way of electricity are things running off of outlets.

Call landlord immediately, he tells me he will send one of his contractors next day, and provides me (and other tenants) with space heaters.

3 days, one short visit from contractor, no responses.

Day after that he tells me that he can't fix the problem, because it is the Phase 1 power supply to the building, and must be fixed by PECO. Claims he reported problem to PECO.

Call him the next day and he gives me the number to PECO. I call them, discover I need his billing address, billing phone number (he has a lot of numbers), and account number. Retrieve info from him, told details of the account reports.

Speak to PECO employee over the phone: Apparently a report has been made, but nobody has been dispatched to the property. I ask what I need to do to have this done. Simply state that the situation is a potential emergency, requires immediate attention, and request one. I do so, noting the fact the landlord did not take this extra step, and that the only report was made 2 days before.

After being told for 2 days that somebody was "Just dispatched and will be there within a couple of hours." I eventually begin to call PECO aggressively. I put in about 7 "reports" and tell the operators that they can have an electrician spend 2 hours at the apartment, or spend much more painful hours on the phone with me. Total time invested: abut 7 hours on the phone. 3 days after my initial call, problem is fixed.

Internet is installed February 13 and cable February 24.

March 1: hot water stops working on 2nd floor including kitchen and a roommate's bathroom. I call the landlord to let him know about the problem and ask about instructions for rent check. Upon hearing another problem with the place, he abruptly brushes me off and says he will call me back in a couple of days. No time to tell me what to do with the rent check.

The Phone Call/Disagreement

March 6: I discover a voicemail from landlord demanding my rent the next day, in person, at his house, across town. I have had midterms for the last 3 days, and don't have a checkbook. I have to use cashier's check, and hesitated in purchasing it until I was given instructions, as not to have $500 bucks tied up in a single piece of paper floating around my room. His tone is accusatory and impatient. He states that according to my lease I have 5 days after the 1st to pay, and I agreed to vacate the property immediately if I can't as per the lease. But, he doesn't want to do any of that, since he is "such a nice guy". He says he will evaluate a a late fee of $50, also not stated in lease.

I look over my lease and discover no such 5 day clause exists. And I know enough to know how ineffectual this vacate property clause is from an eviction standpoint, which time consuming and costly for him.

I am not aware of my specific legal rights, but I know basic things. The landlord MUST provide me with heat and electric, even if he isn't paying. He is not liable for the outage, but he did not exhaust all resources to correct this problem. He made on phone call and made no follow up. Payment for utilities is implied as compiled in the rent. The fact that these services (both mandatory and unnecessary) are listed in the lease seems to specify that I am receiving these services. By not providing me with services, I think he might be violating the lease in a way that has immediate consequences (I put rent check in escrow or something) as opposed to the months it might take him to evict me, for being 5 days late on rent, without reminder or instructions.

I can understand how my negligence on the rent is a major annoyance, but I ignored huge oversight like him (the electric account holder) not putting forth effort to make my (and roommates) conditions livable. As far as the cable and internet, this is unimportant, apart from the fact that I was lied to about their status when I moved in, and then given different dates for their installment.

I call him and tell him that missing the rent was an act of forgetfulness (this is the first lease in my name without a cosigner) but that I am offended by his treatment of the situation. I forgave a lot of shortcomings upon moving in and extended him a lot of understanding because he has about a dozen properties and 50 tenants. I asked him how he can remember that my rent is late in the next half hour, but not my name.

I politely summarize all the things that happened over the last month, without discussing the lease or the legal part of it. I tell him that I don't want unnecessary complications.

He systematically denies my account of everything, even though he was not present in the house when this was occurring, and can't even remember my name.
Has no recollection of giving me account information and calling PECO, or calling him constantly before that. Claims that if the power was out for such time frame, I must not have told him or else he would have had it fixed within 24. Doesn't seem to remember that PECO has to fix it.
He says that he was supplying me "electricity" nominally, and that the space heaters provided exempt him from being responsible for an uncomfortable situation. He says that I had internet the entire time, and have no reason to complain. FYI I had been borrowing the nearest linksys, which was unreliable, slow, and not a substitute for the network we were promised.

He says that cable was set up in other tenants room (but not the common room), so cable was being provided, even if I didn't have the convenience of it in my room initially.
1. Rooms have individual locks, bathrooms, and leases.
2. I lease my room, only, I don't share a lease with roommates. Shouldn't I get cable in my room?

He denies remembering my phone call days earlier, telling him about the hot water not working. And admonishes me for not calling him for instructions on how to pay rent. Ignoring that:
1. I attempted to do this
2. To expect a tenant to pursue her landlord on multiple occasions in order to have the opportunity to pay him money is contrary to human nature, and common sense.

He also reminds me that he accepted my pet cat without a deposit. As if to make me feel guilty, or scare me into thinking I'll have to pay one now.

He disengages in the conversation and says he'll talk to me tomorrow.

ADVICE?

What are my rights? I don't want to spend time arguing with this man, and want to come to a compromise. Overall, the apartment is nicely renovated, furnished, and close to campus. I don't want an eviction notice on my credit, and I can't afford a lawyer or anything. I honestly think he will comply, but I want to be armed with knowledge of the law, because I think it is written in my favor on this matter....
**A: if you want to armed with knowledge of the law then read the law. PA landlord tenant law. Your rights and remedies are contained therein. Happy reading.

Cvillecpm

READ YOUR LEASE....I'll bet there is a clause that the landlord is NOT * repeat NOT responsible for disruption of utilities...

hindsight2040

That was the one piece of advice I got initially that I reviewed. I found nothing of the sort. Just the rent, utilities, deposit, and inspection information and requisite i, governing, severability, addendum statements. Another oversight of his, I guess.
There is a lot relative to everything else on how tenants are expected to communicate maintenance issues, so hypothetically he could deny knowledge and thus accountability this way.

Actually, that might have been what he was going for when we spoke on the phone?

Alaska landlord

Not having a 5 day grace period works against you. The landlord can start eviction proceedings at anytime.
He is not responsible for failure of utilities and by placing one phone call has fulfilled his obligation. If a pet fee is in the lease, he can demand it at anytime.

It will benefit you to tone down your attitude or you will be out in the cold soon.

Alaska landlord

necdote:
When a past landlord tried to take two months worth of utilities and some other unfounded charges from my security deposit, I told them they had to produce receipts dated before the remainder check is was issued (or else they could run to Loews to spite me) that conformed within 5 dollars of each charge, or else I would take them to court. Later I found out this isn't required in PA. Yet I got that check certified mail faster than a summons from the Third Reich. Why? Receipt or not the request was legitimate, and they had the burden of proof. Plus, in PA, if (and when) they were discovered to be liars they pay double. Either way I bet they think twice every time they try to exploit people this way.
Just because you successfully bully one landlord, it doesn't mean it will work a second time or ever again. Before you act, know your rights. Pennsylvania has unusual tenant landlord laws some of which work in the favor of the landlord.

hindsight2040

How is refusing to be charged 50 bucks so somebody can carry a bag of garbage down a flight of stairs bullying? How is refusing to pay for a professional to repaint walls that I never blemished with a nail or tack bullying? (especially when the federal government indirectly pays for this in increments over years, assuming that the owner of such walls is somehow benefiting others, instead they use my meager wages and taxes ----- to paint their walls)These people are already in a position of power, but it isn't enough for them. It's a microcosm of capitalism, except the benefactors benefit not from ingenuity, but reliance on their already acquired resources and their devices of pettiness.

A bully, by definition, acts aggressively to people who are weaker than he. My position is inherently submissive to the landlord, therefore a desperate attempt to retain some basic unalienable qualities that make me human (having the agency to think and act according to what I know to be morally right, for example) is the diametric opposite to bullying. It is self-preservation.

An illustration of bullying would be as follows: I have innate power by virtue of a contract, when this contract ceases, I have the opportunity to decide how much another person is obligated pay me. Rather than demonstrate temperance and shame, I take advantage of this situation, overcharge the person, and fabricate reasons to justify these charges. I know this person has little opportunity to fight these charges, but I prefer my victims in a position of disempowerment, as they are easier to take advantage of. This victim is young, unaware of their rights, and doesn't possess the wherewithall or money to reclaim what I have rightfully stolen. By perpetually disempowering others I acquire more means, and more ways in which to, again, disempower.

That, is bullying.

HomeGuru

How is refusing to be charged 50 bucks so somebody can carry a bag of garbage down a flight of stairs bullying? How is refusing to pay for a professional to repaint walls that I never blemished with a nail or tack bullying? (especially when the federal government indirectly pays for this in increments over years, assuming that the owner of such walls is somehow benefiting others, instead they use my meager wages and taxes ----- to paint their walls)These people are already in a position of power, but it isn't enough for them. It's a microcosm of capitalism, except the benefactors benefit not from ingenuity, but reliance on their already acquired resources and their devices of pettiness.

A bully, by definition, acts aggressively to people who are weaker than he. My position is inherently submissive to the landlord, therefore a desperate attempt to retain some basic unalienable qualities that make me human (having the agency to think and act according to what I know to be morally right, for example) is the diametric opposite to bullying. It is self-preservation.

An illustration of bullying would be as follows: I have innate power by virtue of a contract, when this contract ceases, I have the opportunity to decide how much another person is obligated pay me. Rather than demonstrate temperance and shame, I take advantage of this situation, overcharge the person, and fabricate reasons to justify these charges. I know this person has little opportunity to fight these charges, but I prefer my victims in a position of disempowerment, as they are easier to take advantage of. This victim is young, unaware of their rights, and doesn't possess the wherewithall or money to reclaim what I have rightfully stolen. By perpetually disempowering others I acquire more means, and more ways in which to, again, disempower.

That, is bullying.
**A: oh brother not another one.

Alaska landlord

Your landlord must be a patient man. Most would have evicted you a while ago.
Garbage is not to be left on the common areas or outside your door. A charge of 50.00 seems reasonable as it is not the landlord's duty to pick up after you. Yes, walls are a benefit to all, holes and all. Except maybe to those behind prison walls. ;)

As for capitalism? Well, I guess now that "O" is in charge, we won't have to worry about that anymore.

hindsight2040

Have you ever met a black man, you know, like in person?

I never said anything bad about capitalism, or anything about it at all really. Politics are a good launching point for idiots to stage an argument because it makes ambiguous concepts easier to manage and compare. "Oh, you think 'this' way cause you're one of 'those'."

Besides, the tax breaks that allow you to maintain a rental property are Socialist, not Jeffersonian in reasoning. How many of those do you refuse to file? You love to suck at one teat, while punching the other, huh.

Last edited:

Alaska landlord

You mean like my Grandfather?

I see, so if anyone opposes the policies of Obama, then he must be a racist. I guess that makes guilty white people feel better about themselves. But, I am glad you feel Atonement.

Or, should I have said "O"tonement?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">