• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Flooded Apartment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

21questionz

The tenants above me flooded their bathroom purposely by placing towels over the drain and leaving all the faucets running. This caused my ceiling to leak and my carpet to get soaked. My landlord is going to make the repairs in a few days. In the meantime I am staying in a hotel. Who is repsonsible for paying for the hotel? The landlord? Me? The tenants above me?

FarmerJ

It is not your LLs fault that the tenants upstairs acted in a destructive manner. This is where you make a claim to your renters insurance. Now if you want to get a copy of the police report that might have been filed to help document the tenant upstairs action of trying to damage the property then do it and see if a small claims court will award you the hotel rental from the former nieghbor. If that seems too hard to do them by all means sit down and talk with your LL and see what you can negotiate. Your LL might work something out you can live with other wise make a claim with your renters ins.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">