• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Flooding problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

giterdun

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas I am disabled and rent a house 3 BR, I am also on section 8 Hud assisted housing. I get SSDI and I'm considerd disabled. We are having a flooding problem because we live on a hill, where the house sits dirt was removed to build the house. So at the back of the house ground level is about roof level. There was no retaining wall built it left as it, dirt, some of the dirt has sluffed off and built up against the house over time, now the dirt is higher than the finished floor hence when it rain hard we get water in. The landlord has stated they cannot do anything about it. The housing auth suggested I find another house to move to. Moving is not an option for me, I can't afford to move. And everytime it floods I have to move two bedrooms of furnishing, my doctor has restricted me to no lifting. They refused to send anyone to help me. What can I do, I don't wanna move. I know the problem can be fixed its just the LL doesn't want to spend the money. Seems like the HA could force them too.

DeenaCA

The housing authority can't force the landlord to make repairs any more than you can. However, the landlord has a written contract with the HA ("HAP contract"). If the landlord fails to maintain the property to HUD standards, the HA's recourse is to terminate the HAP contract, stop sending the rental subsidy to your landlord, and assist you in moving into better-quality housing.

Ask the housing authority to refer you to a local nonprofit that can assist you with finding and moving into a better rental unit.

FarmerJ

call your city housing inspections desk and get them to come out and either order the LL to fix it or to condemn it on the spot , condemnation would be better for you because first off it will cancel your lease and your LL cant do a damn thing other than fix it or leave it empty. Condemnation will cause the LL to have to refund to you rent paid but rent you were not able to consume and LL cant fairly do anything to your deposit since its a govt official who is saying the house is not fit to live in. A copy of condemnation order for your records may help you be able to get other housing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">