• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Florida living w/ family, what are my rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

km2015

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My husband and 2 kids just moved into his grandmother's house. She signed a paper saying that as of 3/1/15, our address is here.

My husband's mother lives in the trailer on the property, and has been looking after the property (if that means using it to do illegal activities and hoarding items) for about a year and a half, not contributing to bills or anything.

Now that we're here, she has decided that she's not happy about it, because she doesn't want us to clean up the crazy mess that she's created all over the property, including 12 cats, 5 dogs, horse, not including 6 rooms of junk. We caught her turning tricks in the back room while my kids were home w/ us, (I didn't know she was doing that) and I won't have that around my children.

Now she's saying that she's been here a year and a half, and too bad, we can just leave. We aren't allowed to clean or pick up her things (over 1/2 the house of bottles, papers, old moldy things) because it's HERS and she will scream, yell, break things, etc.

Can we do anything? If cops are called (she likes to "set up" her paraphernalia which is hidden in HER trailer and say it's ours) do we have ANY rights? My 2 girls are here, I can't be having this INSANITY! The neighbors want her gone, but so far no one has been able to get her out!

Advice? (please other than the OBVIOUS, call the cops this is a SMALL town... they don't get involved unless they HAVE to and we just moved here so they don't know us, get a lawyer, yes I know but I'm hoping to avoid that) she is just not able to handle more than 3 or 4 days without going on a binge and raising cain, so if anyone knows, please comment!

p.s. My girls are safe 100%, they are kept with us in the clean and clear rooms on the property with locks and doors separating them from any exposure or whoopsies. We moved from out of state (across the whole country) with what fit in a car, so to just up and go is not an option.... this JUST started up again (she's known for her craziness so was expected but not at THIS extreme!)

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My husband and 2 kids just moved into his grandmother's house. She signed a paper saying that as of 3/1/15, our address is here.

My husband's mother lives in the trailer on the property, and has been looking after the property (if that means using it to do illegal activities and hoarding items) for about a year and a half, not contributing to bills or anything.

Now that we're here, she has decided that she's not happy about it, because she doesn't want us to clean up the crazy mess that she's created all over the property, including 12 cats, 5 dogs, horse, not including 6 rooms of junk. We caught her turning tricks in the back room while my kids were home w/ us, (I didn't know she was doing that) and I won't have that around my children.

Now she's saying that she's been here a year and a half, and too bad, we can just leave. We aren't allowed to clean or pick up her things (over 1/2 the house of bottles, papers, old moldy things) because it's HERS and she will scream, yell, break things, etc.

Can we do anything? If cops are called (she likes to "set up" her paraphernalia which is hidden in HER trailer and say it's ours) do we have ANY rights? My 2 girls are here, I can't be having this INSANITY! The neighbors want her gone, but so far no one has been able to get her out!

Advice? (please other than the OBVIOUS, call the cops this is a SMALL town... they don't get involved unless they HAVE to and we just moved here so they don't know us, get a lawyer, yes I know but I'm hoping to avoid that) she is just not able to handle more than 3 or 4 days without going on a binge and raising cain, so if anyone knows, please comment!

p.s. My girls are safe 100%, they are kept with us in the clean and clear rooms on the property with locks and doors separating them from any exposure or whoopsies. We moved from out of state (across the whole country) with what fit in a car, so to just up and go is not an option.... this JUST started up again (she's known for her craziness so was expected but not at THIS extreme!)
The OBVIOUS thing to do is to move.

I would think the obvious answer is for you to move if you don't like the situation. What is the grandmothers stance on this? If she owns the place, she is the only one with standing to evict...you can not do anything.

STEPHAN

Even if you had a change to solve this legally (and I don't see how) this will be war.

Move.

STEPHAN

If you have no rental contract, she can ask you to leave with proper notice, probably 30 day notice. If you don't leave, she has to evict you.

That she signed that you live there right now, does not mean much, that could change soon.

LdiJ

If you have no rental contract, she can ask you to leave with proper notice, probably 30 day notice. If you don't leave, she has to evict you.

That she signed that you live there right now, does not mean much, that could change soon.
GRANDMA is letting them live there. Its her house.

MOM is the problem.

Gail in Georgia

". We moved from out of state (across the whole country) with what fit in a car, so to just up and go is not an option...."

From her posting, moving on might not be an option.

Again, the OP does not own this property and thus cannot evict her mother-in-law. Only her husbands grandmother can do this if she wishes.

Sounds like grandma is trying to help a bunch of, well, losers. Poor grandma. Perhaps evicting ALL the relatives and selling the house and trailer might be the best thing.

Gail

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
". We moved from out of state (across the whole country) with what fit in a car, so to just up and go is not an option...."

From her posting, moving on might not be an option.

Again, the OP does not own this property and thus cannot evict her mother-in-law. Only her husbands grandmother can do this if she wishes.

Sounds like grandma is trying to help a bunch of, well, losers. Poor grandma. Perhaps evicting ALL the relatives and selling the house and trailer might be the best thing.

Gail

I guess a free-ride for housing will do that to you.

km2015

I appreciate the feedback, but admit that some if it is downright offensive.

The grandmother lives with another relative, because the "MOM" leaves her alone and drinks so much she is scared to be here. She's 97, and the MOM is 56? (it's a great-great grandmother) She also has raised all he kids "MOM" lost or abandoned over the years, and has enabled her for a long time, but would like to come home to spend what time she has left in HER house....

I am not here on a FREE RIDE, I have provided food, utilities, and rides/gas, as well as any other expenses we have incurred, unlike "MOM" who doesn't contribute one penny. I lost EVERYTHING by moving, after losing a good job and it is not appreciated all the "just move" or free ride comments. I made it clear that's NOT an option for the next week or so.

Thankfully, since this post, the "MOM" has gone off on a crack bender and hasn't showed back up for the last 2 - 3 days, now THAT's a respite!

Though, I have been blessed by getting call after call from her, one blaming an injury (that caused staples and stitches) that my husband had for why she didn't get paid since she was pulling a trick at the time, as well as attempting to convince my stepdaughter's mom that she shouldn't visit because we might charge people to look at her (my husband told his ex step dad who was visiting if he caught him staring at my tatas again he'd have to charge him which was of course his way of calling it out and telling him to quit nicely) so now she used that to make up ANOTHER idiotic rumor..... SIGH.

What I cannot understand is WHY people LISTEN to her? She is the most selfish and psychotic person I know!

Thank you all who had HONEST and HELPFUL answers, or at least showed you READ my post.

Any helpful thoughts are appreciated, at this point, prayers are probably more helpful :)

STEPHAN

KM you are dealing with a psychotic person.

The only thing that I have seen working with psychotic people is to physically disconnect from them. Unless she gets arrested, she will be back and cause trouble. Even if you don't hear from her for a while, one day she will be back.

This environment is not save to raise kids - no matter how "right" you are and how many court orders you get.

Therefore my best advice again: Move.

Good luck for your family.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">