• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forged Lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

magic_ball

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Here's the issue, I've been subletting my apartment and the lease expired. Unknown to me, the signature on the lease was forged to renew the lease (I called the landlord and he told me it was returned back in July with my signature... *insert long conversation about never doing that*). I can prove the signature isn't mine (on other checks and on the original lease I signed).

The tenant still lives there and I informed him the lease would be up (I'm not blaming anyone for the renewal) but I thought I'd be getting my deposit back and ending the lease. What recourse do I have to fix this situation? Especially about having my name on a renewed lease and being liable for any issues when I didn't sign it.

Cvillecpm

The lease renewal was forged - the original lease still stands. Assuming you provided your landlord with your FORWARDING ADDRESS so that any renewal could be sent to you and not to the sub-let apt, how did the renewal document get into the hands of the subletee?

You should have made arrangements with landlord and subletee and put them both on written notice that you were not going to renew!!

Dispute the renewal signature and request your deposit back in writing and then if you want your deposit back, sue both subletee and landlord in small claims court.

magic_ball

Thanks!

I didn't give them my forwarding address :(

I didn't even receive the renewed lease so I have no idea if it was renewed for 1 or 2 years (or even if it was actually renewed and not an error on someone's part).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">