• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forged Signature On Lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LJLALA

What is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA

My "boyfriend" forged my signature on our lease. Now, our relationship is over but our lease is not up until November 2004. If I can prove that is not my signature, can I get out of the lease?

I am not a lawyer, but have you asked your landlord if you can get out of the lease if another tenant can be found? If I know landlords(and I do), they don't care who is in there, as long as someone is paying rent. Provided the apartment is in good shape(move-in condition), they might be amenable to ending your lease and having the new tenant move in as soon as you leave.
Can you not afford this place on your own? I will assume you can't, so your best bet is to talk to the landlord/manager, explain your situation, and see what you can work out.

Good luck!

JETX

"If I can prove that is not my signature, can I get out of the lease?"
*** Yes. However, if they can show that you knew, or should have known, that he had put your name on the lease.... or with your permission and stayed anyway, then they can claim that your staying was acceptance.

In any case, the best you could hope for would be that your obligation to the term (written) lease be void.... and you would then be under a month-to-month lease..... with a 30 day notice to terminate same.
'

HomeGuru

My opinion is that you agreed to him signing your name and did nothing from the time of lease commencement, therefore L can hold you to the lease.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">