• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fraudlent Landlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

favgirl23

Lynda in California: My family and I rented a home from our landlord last July, rent was $2,100 dollars. 3 months later my landlord came to me and said that she would have to raise my rent in order to stop from selling her house. We began paying $3,000 a $900 dollar increase in November of last year in order to stop her from having to sell her house and we have paid on time every month. With the rent increase we also signed a lease which is up on November 1st of this year. We just recently learned that our landlord is in foreclosure and the the rent increase we have been paying her to stop the sale of the house has been for nothing. What is our recourse, what are our rights as tenants in a home that is in foreclosure where the landlord fraudulently increases the rent to supposedly save her home. Please advise.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

ecmst12

If you did not have a signed contract (lease) stating your rent for a specific term, then your LL can raise the rent at any time, for any reason, with 30 days notice. It does not sound like you had a signed lease before the increase, so she did not do anything wrong.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">