• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

freeloaders-protected by police?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nintendoman

What is the name of your state? california
Over 2 Years ago i had to leave my property unattended for 45 days, so i looked for people to watch over the property while i was gone. A couple and their brother moved onto my property with 2 cars, 1 truck, 1 van and a truck with overheadcamper. I supplied the van and the overheadcamper with electricity, water and cable-tv. After my absence they all where supposed to move on. Nothing happened, so after 2 adittional months i told em i would need help paying the increased utillitybills, it started with $50.00 per week - but soon my bills doubled (for example electricbill from $150.00 to $396.00). Every couple months i reminded them - even their brother paid for all their utilitybills - they still had to find another place, everytime i got promised it would be soon. Meanwhile their garbage and other fine "collectibles" (bikes, motorcycleparts, tires,cabinets) started filling my yard.
About 4months ago the only one paying the bills had a fallout with the couple and just dissappeared into drugrehab. I informed the couple that i wouldnt have the funds to continue supply of utillitys, got promised to get paid from them - nothing happened for 2 months. So i turned my outside power off. Immediately i got contacted by the sheriffsdepartment that i was not allowed to interrupt my "tennants" utillitys. I informed the sheriff that i was financially unable to do so (haventh heard any about since). After about 1 week it seemed they moved. I had almost two peacefull months. 2 nights ago around midnight they moved back in, so yesterday i padlocked my sidegate, so if they would come back at night again, they would have to come through my main entrance where i could see on camera. I also posted 2 signs on the sidegate: no trespassing and private property. Shure enough i get a call from the sheriffsdepartment again - im not allowed to deny acess to their property. I tried to explain that nobody is locked out, the sheriff ensists on removal of the lock. So far i didnt comply. Legally my outside powersupply is not rated to handle Campers nor does my property allow other dwellings without obtaining a permit. So can the police force me to violate the building department?
Can i be arrested? Can the Healthdepartment help with their garbage? I am originally from Germany and only the caretaker of the property(legal owner-parents/sister). Is the law on my side? Help appreciated from anybody.

ecmst12

Doesn't sound like you ever even gave them written 30 days notice to move. Situations like this are usually considered month-to-month oral leases, so you have to give them proper notice. After that, you can evict them.

fairlight

The blame for this situation rests squarely with you, not with the police as you imply. You apparently didn't do any kind of a background check on the people you entrusted the security of your property to, nor did you have anything in writing with them.

They've been on the property long enough to be considered tenants, so the only way that you can get them out is to evict them. Locking them out is illegal.

The city could come after you because it sounds like your property has come to resemble a junkyard. You tolerated the campers all that time. Now you say that there has to be a permit to have "dwellings" on the property.

That you believed the tenants' promises is not the fault of the police. Do a background check next time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">